Thursday, May 24, 2007

All things grow, all things grow

I spent the day yesterday in Chicago. One of my great friends from college was in town for a conference, so we went out to dinner and then had a great night on the town.

But I went in to the city in the morning to begin scouting out possible locations for my big move. I won't be moving until August, but I am so excited about it that I thought I would scope things out a bit. I have decided I am going to live in a different neighborhood than when I last lived in Chicago. So I walked around the Wicker Park neighborhood and fell in love with the place. I have always known that Wicker Park is a trendy and hip place, but I have not really spent too much time there. And it truly is trendy and hip. And lots of fun. The neighborhood has many cool restaurants, hangouts, shops, etc. I may have to turn into a hipster (but no PBR) and do more things ironically, but it will be worth it.

Every time I walk around in Chicago, I remember why I love it and why I loved living there. But until now, it was always a "man, I wish I could live here again" kind of feeling. But now I really do get to move back.

Here are some reasons I am so excited to move back to Chicago:
  • A huge variety of amazing restaurants, from all different parts of the world (with lots of vegan tasties)
  • The opportunity to see just about every movie that is released without having to wait for them to come out on DVD
  • More concerts!
  • Great museums, cultural events, street fairs . . .
  • Wrigley Field

I will also have much more to blog about, so everyone wins.

9 Comments:

At 12:46 AM, Blogger PBear posited...

You're a Cubs fan?

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

For my whole life.

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Well, I'm happy to hear that. It's infinitely more classy than being a white sox fan.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Unknown posited...

I was doing a bit of "browsing" on blogger and found your blog - just had to leave a comment. I also received my Master's degree (in Sociology) from NIU, grew up in the Chicagoland area, and am a third-generation Cubs fan.

Hope you don't mind if I add your blog to my list of "Blogs to Read"...

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

mr. w, where are some fine eating places for the discerning vegan in chicago, i'm thinking about making a trip later in the summer.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger PBear posited...

Definitely classier than being a white sox fan, but also tragic considering all the heartbreak that naturally comes with being a cubs fan.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Tracy -- I am glad you stumbled on my blog. I always love to get new readers!

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Josh - there are so many restaurants that have vegan food. There are some great veggie-specific restaurants, such as The Chicago Diner, which features a variety of great veggie food, and all of their desserts are vegan.
The Earwax Cafe has amazing sandwiches, and I am excited that I will be living near there.

But you can also easily get vegan food at a lot of different ethnic cuisine places. Middle Eastern/Mediterranean restaurants always have great vegan items, and there are many of these in Chicago. Other great options are Indian and Thai.

Check out

Chicago Menu Pages

They have online menus of hundreds of restaurants, broken down by geography or my cuisine.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

thanks. both those places look awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home