Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Have you ever fired two guns whilst jumping through the air?

When I first saw the preview for Hot Fuzz, I knew that it would be a movie of soaring awesomeness. Well, I saw it last night, and I was not prepared for exactly what heights of awesomeness it would reach. It functions not only as a super-charged action movie, but also as a parody of the highest degree. Every detail in the film, from the buddy cops to the characters' names to the spectacularly over-the-top sound effects, screams "cheesy action film." The references to movies like Point Break and Bad Boys II add a superb touch.

Nothing I can really say about it can do Hot Fuzz justice, except to say that the last 30 minutes comprise some of the most breakneck, full-throttle, laugh-out-loud, adrenaline-fueled hilarity I have seen in a long time.


Hot Fuzz will not be the best film of the year, but it will certainly compete for the most purely entertaining.

1 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

My aunt drove me all the way to Bemidji to see this movie. Totally worth it.

Best line--(SPOILER ALERT)

(after the doctor gets his toe shot off)
Simon: You're a doctor. Deal with it.
Nick: Yeah, motherfucker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home