Sunday, March 25, 2007

"So that's how it is in their family."

I have a job interview on Tuesday (at the school where John Hughes filmed the famous scene in which Mr. Rooney stands on the steps with Sloane waiting for Mr. Peterson, a.k.a. Ferris, to pick her up!) which I am looking forward to. I also got a call for an interview at one of my first-choice high schools, and that interview is next week.

I have been thinking a lot about this whole interview process. It seems like it is very long and drawn out, but I have to remember that it is still very early (I did not get hired in Brainerd until August). But, for example, I have yet to hear anything, positive or negative, from a school where I interviewed several weeks ago. I know these suburban schools are very popular, so they have a lot of candidates to interview. By way of comparison, I was on several hiring committees at Brainerd, and we always made our decisions within a few days. But the schools in the Chicago area all do second and third interviews. It seems that for some reason or another, more people are applying to suburban Chicago schools than to semi-rural Minnesota schools. Interesting.

But again, I feel very good about the whole situation, but feel free to send cosmic karma vibes my way.

5 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

I may just be completely fabricating this, but I seem to remember a teacher at BHS telling me that there were hundreds of applicants trying to get one of the positions that had opened there.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, I suppose I should clear that up a bit.
As Minnesota schools go, Brainerd is one of THE places to be. I say that in all seriousness.
But I think with these suburban schools, there are thousands of applicants.
But the whole process was just different. At Brainerd, the administration pared down the big pile of applicants to 5 or 6 of the best, and there was always just one interview -- a group of teachers and administrators all together. And then we made a decision and it was over in about a week.
At most of the places I have interviewed, I have only seen faculty committees--no principals or superintendents.
But on the other hand, the concept of "department chair" means more here. In Brainerd, it is basically a person who teaches a full load and runs meetings. In the suburban schools, the department chairs have administrative licenses, and they spend up to half of the school day on administrative business. So I think that is another reason it feels so different here.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger M.Cummings posited...

best wishes to you buddy. Some people can just be ice cold, especialy on the north shore.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger undulatingorb posited...

I send all the cosmic luck your way. And, if that doesn't work, just tell me who to blow (Chris offers this as well, and he has a bigger mouth and a weaker gag reflex)!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Man is there any scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off that couldn't be considered famous? What a film.

My favorite scene is definitely the parade.

According to Sam Walker, many of the people who appear in that scene were not paid extras. They were just passersby who heard the music and started dancin', so the director filmed them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home