Sunday, January 21, 2007

Much ado

With Hillary's announcement today (along with a couple of other candidates), I guess I have some thoughts.

For the last two years, I had been in the camp that believed that Barack Obama should wait a few more years and get some experience under his belt. But after watching him be my senator for a while, and after watching him speak, and after reading things his has written, I have joined the Obama Now camp. I believe he comes to the table with the intelligence, deliberative thoughtfulness, compassion, and values that I want in a candidate. And as Obama himself said, no one has more experience than Cheney and Rumsfeld -- experience does not equal ability.

That said, I need to think about the other candidates in the race. I really do not know much about Tom Vilsack of Iowa, though he seems like a decent guy. But he is a long shot, obviously.

Bill Richardson of New Mexico announce today as well. Yeah, he's just ok.

Lately, I have really like what John Edwards has been doing. I like the new direction he is taking toward embracing progressive ideas, so I am not ready to count him out yet.

So I must say some things about Hillary. I have always been a fan of Hillary. I like what she attempted as First Lady, I think she handled herself with dignity during the Clinton scandal, and I think that she has proven herself a strong senator. I have had big problems with her lately, such as her gung-ho-ness about the war and her veering rightward on some issues. But I also think that people think they know who she is and will not give her a chance. Many people will vote against her rather than for her opponent.

Speaking of her opponents, I guess I should say something there too. Sam Brownback announced his candidacy today. He should seal up the Falwell/Dobson/Neo-Nutbag vote, but won't get far past that.

Rudy Guiliani would be a pretty good candidate, but he will never get the nomination. The Republicans would never nominate someone whose moderate-to-liberal positions on social issues actually reflect the majority of voters' opinions.

I suppose John McCain will be the front runner. My respect for him goes down every time I see him on TV. I have respected his work on immigration reform, campaign finance reform, and a few other things, and I liked his first positions on things like the marriage amendment, the Confederate flag, and the Bush tax cuts. But every day he moves a little further to the right, if only in word.

This time around at least, the Republicans will not be able to spew the bogus flip-flopper bullshit. Of course, if Hillary gets the nom, neither will the Democrats.

So, Barack, you're the one for me. In the past, candidates announced in the same year as the election. What a concept.

6 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Oh I hope the Republicans can come up with someone a little better than Brownback or even McCain. Barack/Edwards gives me one viable option; I'd like to have a second, GOP, if you don't mind.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Well, I think Newt is going to run.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Did they really announce during the same year? That's amazing. It seems so abbreviated. When did this change?

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

A Presidential campaign lasting at most eleven months? Good thing we got rid of that ridiculous notion.

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

John,

If you haven't seen this Daily Show bit comparing Bush to Lincoln, enjoy. It's nice to see history finally taken seriously in this country.

Trevor, an historian.

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/?ml_video=80722

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Thanks for the link, Trevor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home