Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Morning fun

Here is something that happened to me this morning that is simultaneously hilarious, stupid, and disgusting:

Normally when I am either about to take a shower or shave, I put my glasses on the back of the toilet. My bathroom is small with no shelves or counter space, you see. So this morning, I flushed the toilet, took off my glasses, dropped my glasses, bobbled my glasses, and finally dropped my glasses into the toilet. This would normally be no big deal (still gross, but not an emergency) except that the toilet was mid-flush. My glasses are expensive, so I immediately grabbed for them, but until today I had no idea how powerful the suction of a toilet flush is. My hand was immediately sucked down to the bottom of the toilet, and my glasses were already down the hole. I was able to grab them with two fingers as my hand completely disappeared into the hole as well. I started to pull the glasses up, but the force of the flush was too strong, and I was afraid I would break them. So I had to just wait for the flushing to stop pulling me in, hoping I could maintain my two-fingered grip. Finally the flushing stopped and as the bowl filled up with the blue Vanish water, I was able to extract my hand and glasses.

I then proceeded to wash my hands three times (even though I was about to shower) and soak my glasses in dish soap.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

7 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

"simultaneously hilarious, stupid, and disgusting"

You failed to mention "thrilling."




Dear Mister Grammar,

Was that period seriously supposed to go inside those quotation marks? It looks weird.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

(I reposted your comment with your name attached)

A period or comma (in American English) always goes inside the quotation marks. No exceptions ever.
It does not really make sense, and the British do it the other--more sensible--way, but so it goes.

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Benson posited...

I hope you clasped your hands together and made the "victory" gesture I'm so fond of--after first shaking off that excess toilet water, of course.

PS - MLA parenthetical citations may leave you with a period outside of quotation marks. Check Keys for Writers :)

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Of course. Clearly if the sentence is not finished yet when the quotation ends (as would be the case with a citation), then you would not put a period.
But that's kind of like saying that the "I before e except after c" should apply in a word like chief. "It comes after a c so why doesn't the rule apply?"

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

But no, I did not perform my signature victory gesture since I did not want to touch my clean hand with my toilety hand!

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

It might make you feel better to knnow that I got an "A" on that Gatsby essay. One of the few, as well. I say it's in large part because I had already read the book.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

I'd yell ENCORE but my roommate would likely think that weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home