Tuesday, September 26, 2006

My kingdom for a voice.

Still riding high from the Sufjan show, I decided to try to list every concert I have been to. I actually have not been to that many concerts I guess, but I think it is a pretty good list. I will probably leave some shows off since I am just going by memory, but oh well. When possible, I have listed the dates and other info. (Thanks, internet!)

And yes, it starts with New Edition.

  • New Edition - Winter 1984. Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, IN
  • New Edition - Summer(?) 1986. Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, IN
  • Genesis (Invisible Touch Tour) - January 24, 1987. Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, IN
  • R.E.M. (Green World Tour) - Sept. 8, 1989. Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, IN
(This, along with all images, are pilfered from the web, not from my own collection.)

  • The B-52's / Opening Act: Ziggy Marley - Summer 1990. Deer Creek Amphitheatre, Noblesville, IN
  • Morrissey (Kill Uncle Tour) - June 28, 1991. Riverbend Theatre, Cincinnati, OH. (Morrissey did not like the security, so he only played for 30 minutes.)
  • 10,000 Maniacs - Summer 1991. Indiana State Fair, Indianapolis, IN
  • The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Fall 1991. Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
  • U2 (Zoo TV Tour, First Leg) / Opening Band: The Pixies. March 31, 1993. Rosemont Horizon, Rosemont, IL
  • The Pogues (Waiting For Herb Tour) - December 10, 1993. Barrowlands Ballroom, Glasgow, Scotland
  • New Fast Automatic Daffodils / Consolidated - Winter, 1993. Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
  • Guided By Voices - Spring, 1994. Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
  • Tracy Chapman - February(?), 1995. Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
  • R.E.M. (Monster Tour) / Opening Act: Luscious Jackson- June 4, 1995. Rosemont Horizon, Rosemont, IL
  • R.E.M. (Monster Tour) / Opening Act: Radiohead - September 24, 1995. World Music Theater, Tinley Park, IL
  • Blur - February 8, 1996. The Riviera Theatre, Chicago, IL
  • Smashing Pumpkins / Opening Act: Grant Lee Buffalo - October 4, 1996. Rosemont Horizon, Rosemont, IL
  • Blur - March 15, 1997. The Riviera Theatre, Chicago, IL
  • The Boo Radleys - May 9, 1997. Metro, Chicago, IL
  • Ani DiFranco - August 28, 1997. World Music Theater, Tinley Park, IL
  • The Charlatans UK - September 22, 1997. The Vic, Chicago, IL
  • Morrissey (Maladjusted Tour) - September 27, 1997. The Riviera Theatre, Chicago, IL. (Morrissey was sick, so he only played for 20 minutes. I sense a pattern.)
  • R.E.M. (Up Tour) / Opening Act: Wilco - August 21, 1999. Midway Stadium, St. Paul, MN
  • Coldplay (Rush of Blood Pre-Release Club Tour) - August 14, 2002. First Ave, Minneapolis, MN
  • Coldplay (Rush of Blood Tour) - March 13, 2003. Target Center, Minneapolis, MN
  • Eels - July 23, 2003. First Ave., Minneapolis, MN
  • R.E.M. (Greatest Hits Tour) - September 16, 2003. XCel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN
  • The Decemberists - October 18, 2005. Metro, Chicago, IL
  • Saint Etienne - February 15, 2006. Metro, Chicago, IL
  • Belle & Sebastian - March 11, 2006. The Riviera Theatre, Chicago, IL
  • Sufjan Stevens - September 23, 2006. Egyptian Room, Indianapolis, IN

13 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Kelsi posited...

Is Tracy Chapman a singer from the late '80s early '90s? She sang about materialism and indiviualism, if I remember.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

So you had to go all the way to Cincinnati to watch Morissey play for half an hour?

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yep. A 3 hour van ride -- a bunch of excited alternateens off for the time of our lives, only to be let down. (SNIFF.)
It's what made me so jaded and bitter.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Dang... I wish I could have gone to a Zoo TV tour show.

Totally jealous of the Radiohead show. Would like to see them play Paranoid Android live.

I too was at that Coldplay concert at Target Center. Best concert I have seen at the Target Center.

Pretty good list, but I can't believe you didn't go to the Area 1 tour when it came to Minneapolis. Moby, Outkast, Nelly Furtado, Incubus, The Roots, Paul Oakenfold, Carl Cox, Rhinocerose, and The Orb. That was pretty fun.

Some of my other favorite concerts:
Basement Jaxx spinning at The Quest in 2000.
Basement Jaxx playing live at First Avenue in 2001.
Paul Simon and Bob Dylan playing Canterbury Park in 1999.
Ben Folds and Tori Amos at the Northrop in 2003.
Death Cab for Cutie and Franz Ferdinand at the Northrop this year.
Magic Numbers, Flaming Lips, and Sonic Youth at the State Fair this year.
Scissor Sisters at The Quest in 2005.
Bette Midler at the Target Center in 2004 (go ahead and snicker, but it was a good show).

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I sometimes forget how much I used to like Luscious Jackson. "Naked Eye" was such a good song.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

i bet seeing coldplay at first avenue was pretty sweet. and im not even THAT big of a coldplay fan.

im going to a concert at first avenue in 3 days, actually...

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

GBV. sonofabitch. was it fun

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Kelsi - Yep, that's her.

Carson - I may go see Scissor Sisters next month. We'll see how it fits into my schedule.
I'm never really been to any kind of dance music show, and Basement Jaxx would be so awesome.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Tom - The First Ave. show was so awesome. I really like that venue a lot, and seeing a group I love so much so close is an amaziing experience.

Josh - The GBV show was fun, though at the time I had no idea who they were. They were very drunk though, and Pollard was stumbelina drunk and could barely even speak by the end of the show.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

(Overloading with my own comments.)

So, as predicted, I left a concert off, and it wasn't some little unforgettable concert either. So I have added the Smashing Pumpkins show, the one for which I had backstage passes, and I met the band, and my friend Erin introduced us to the guitarist for Grant Lee Buffalo.

And the stupidest part is that while I was typing my post, I thought, "I know I will forget something. At least it won't be some very important experience like the Smashing Pumpkins show."

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Is the last picture of the eels guy?

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yep, that's him. I think the cane is for effect here, since he does not usually have it.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Erin posited...

Did the Pixies really open for U2 when we saw them at the Rosemount? Why don't I remember that? Why is my memory failing me already? At least you remembered the Pumpkins / GLB show...how about breaking up the domestic violence scene afterwards?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home