Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Can't stand the heat

I have previously mentioned some television shows that I consider guilty pleasures. Last fall, I was sucked into Tommy Lee Goes to College, and I have also written a little about Deal or No Deal.

The latest show in this vein is Hell's Kitchen on Fox (Monday nights). I caught a little bit of it last season, and I enjoyed it, but this season, I am addicted. Here is the premise: World-renowned top chef Gordon Ramsay leads an elimination reality show of aspiring young chefs hoping to head up Ramsay's newest restaurant. I am a Food Network junkie, so I knew I would like the cooking aspect of the show, and I do enjoy all of the little cooking challenges. But what makes Hell's Kitchen so great is that Gordon Ramsay is the most ill-tempered, foul-mouthed, berating, belittling, and demeaning asshole on television. And I love it. He screams, he throws things, he calls the chefs names, etc.


For example, the other night, one of the contestants messed up, and when he tried to apologize, Gordon Ramsay responded with something along the lines of "Get the fuck out of my face you fat fucking sack of fucking Yankee-Doodle shit."

Now that's television! I highly recommend it.

4 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Carson posited...

I watched "Hell's Kitchen" last season, and enjoyed it somewhat.

But I just couldn't stay interested this time around.

There is one reason for this: "Top Chef" on Bravo. Not only does it focus more on the actual art of cooking, but it also had contestants I grew to love (or love to hate). I have never really felt invested in any of the contestants on "Hell's Kitchen".

So when I tried tuning in this time around... I just ended up pining for "Top Chef". Thankfully I have the new season of "Project Runway", which premiered tonight, to keep me busy.

But maybe I am biased because I have loved "Project Runway" for quite a while. "Top Chef" is produced by the same people behind "Project Runway" and the format is nearly identical.

Anyway... "Move your ass!"

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Dr Em posited...

reality shows are total guilty pleasures. it's like giving your brain a big bag of doritos, or those damn heath bar "bites" that i just discovered. anyway, i shamefully enjoy wife swap and supernanny on occasion. i like that you don't have to watch every week to know what's going on.

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

I really hope you're joking, Paul.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Carson posited...

I totally agree about D-list being great. Griffin gets funnier and funnier.

I think it even got nominated for an Emmy. Weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home