Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Let us burn back to life

Today I offer brief accounts of two songs (two very different songs) to which I lately cannot stop listening:


"Ooh La La" by Goldfrapp


Alison Goldfrapp's voice bubbles and smokes with sensuality. Her single "Strict Machine" from her previous album, and her most recent single, "Number 1," from her current album Supernature are both favorites of mine. "Ooh La La" starts out sounding like a technofied version of the intro to "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum, and then steps up the beat a bit more, and the synth-bass oozes and pumps behind Goldfrapp's singing:
Switch me on
Turn me up
Don't want it Baudelaire
Just glitter lust
Switch me on
Turn me up
I want to touch you
You're just made for love

I need la la la la la la
I need ooh la la la la
I need la la la la la la
I need ooh la la la la . . .

But when it sounds like this, it doesn't need to be poetry (despite the Baudelaire reference).


"Fire Eye'd Boy" by Broken Social Scene


One cannot really describe Broken Social Scene. The word "collective" often appears in articles about them. I saw them playing "24/7 (Shoreline)" on Conan recently and they had about eight guitarists, and it was a brilliant performance. I initially was a bit resistant to their 2005 album, Broken Social Scene, because I felt it did not live up to their previous album, You Forgot it in People, which is genius and weird. But the more and more I listen to BSS, the more I love it. "Fire Eye'd Boy" is messy yet pure, incomprehensible yet universal, chaotic yet simple. All the things that make me love Broken Social Scene in the first place.

4 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

I love BSS, although I admittedly just got into them this past year. Better late than never!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I did not realize until after I posted that Broken Social Scene finally has a proper website. (Their previous site was useless.)
Anyway, they have some of their full-length videos on there, which I had never seen before. They are brilliant videos. My favorite song by BSS is "Cause=Time," and the video is very cool. I also like the video for "I'm Still Your Fag." The "IBI Dreams of Pavement" clip is super-strange. If you want to know more about BSS, check out their site.

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Erik, the "you" in my last comment was not directed at you, but rather at anyone reading who doesn't already like BSS.

But you knew that.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Carson posited...

"I'm still your fag" has been one of my favorite songs the last couple years, but I had never seen the video.
It was cool. "Lover's spit" was
good too.

I love that most bands have their videos online.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home