Thursday, March 02, 2006

"We rob banks."

One of my classes this semester, The History of Film: 1950-Present, has turned out to be quite excellent. I had the companion course first semester (Beginnings - 1950), but that class was often quite boring, with a lot of lectures and a few good movies. But this semester, we get to watch a movie every week, and my professor has picked some wonderful movies. I have loved every movie we have watched so far. Most of them I had already seen, but I love the fact that this is what I am studying in grad school:
  • High Noon
  • On the Waterfront
  • Rebel Without a Cause
  • Vertigo*
  • Seven Days in May
  • The Graduate*
  • Bonnie and Clyde*
  • Easy Rider


*If you have not seen these three movies in particular, you must see them. Brilliant, important, unforgettable.


And now the class is moving into the 70s, and I am very excited to see where we go from here.

6 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Carson posited...

That class sounds really great.

Here are my 70's favorites:

1970- Airport
1971- A Clockwork Orange, The French Connection
1972- The Godfather, Cabaret, Deliverance
1973- The Sting, A Tango in Paris
1974- Blazing Saddles, Chinatown, The Godfather Part II
1975- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Nashville, Jaws
1976- Network, Taxi Driver, All the Presidents Men
1977- Annie Hall, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind
1978- The Deer Hunter, Superman, The Wiz
1979- Apocalypse Now, La Cage aux Folles, Alien, Norma Rae

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

I love Easy Rider.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Jake, I don't know what movies we will be watching, but I'm sure they will be many of the ones on your list.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

JV - We just watched Easy Rider a couple of days ago, and that was one I had not seen before. It was not what I expected, but I did love the ending.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Josh posited...

vertigo is such a fantastic movie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home