Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Stars in the sky

Just in case there may be a light at the end of this very dark tunnel, today I have been thinking about the 2008 presidential election and which Democrats I would like to see in the race.

So here are my very brief analyses of some oft-mentioned possible candidates. (The links are for unofficial "Draft Candidate" sites, which provide some good info.)

First, of course, is Hillary Clinton. I have long been a Hillary fan. I believe that she, more than anyone else in politics, has gotten a bad rap. Most people have been judging for as long as they have known who she was, without really knowing anything about her. But the fact is, in her term as senator, she has served her constituents well. My enthusiasm for her has started to wane though, because I believe that she has started to pander to the conservatives in order to gain popularity. She is far too pro-war for my tastes, and her recent comments about the need to outlaw flag burning just piss me off. If she is the candidate, the Republicans will use this "pandering" as their big campaign focus, much like the "flip-flopping" issue with John Kerry. (The difference is that the flip-flopping issue was made up, whereas there is some truth to the pandering charge.) The irony, of course, is that pandering to the far right is how Bush won in 2004, but somehow people forget that.

Another candidate that is mentioned often is Evan Bayh, senator from Indiana. First off, I must say that I met Evan Bayh when I was in high school, and it was a very special moment. And this was not at some giant rally somewhere, either. A family friend was running for state senator when I live in Marion, Indiana, and Evan Bayh was my governor. Anyway, Bayh came to our friend's house, and so I stood and chatted with him in the dining room. I always liked him when he was my governor, and he seems to be a good senator now. My biggest problem with him is that I feel that he, like Hillary, is too pro-war, and believes that Democrats must all move to the center in order to win. I disagree with this.

Mark Warner, former governor of Virginia, has a lot of momentum right now. I do not know too much about him, except that he is very well-respected. A candidate from the south might be a good thing.

John Kerry and John Edwards will probably run, but I think their ships have sailed.

But my choice as of right now is Russ Feingold, senator from Wisconsin.

I think he is one of the most respectable politicians in the country, and a movement to recruit him is gaining force. He has the grassroots appeal of Howard Dean without the craziness or yelping or the no-chance-to-win. He voted against the war from the start, and he was the only senator to vote against the PATRIOT Act from the beginning too. He sometimes angers the Democrats by voting with "the other side" on some economic issues, but to me this shows his independence. I think that Feingold deserves a serious look.

I know it is early. As of today, there are still 1049 days left in the Bush presidency. Rigel, the star at Orion's western heel, may be 775 light years away, but it still shines brightly in the sky.

24 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

My boss saw Al Gore speak at TED a couple of weeks ago, and said he was one of the most captivating speakers he'd ever seen (and my boss is a Republican). Too bad he couldn't convey that when he was running--I think his passion is not in politics, otherwise, he could be on your list too.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, I agree. Every time I see him on the news these days, he is passionate and energetic. He is fighting for great causes and has become quite a sparkplug for the party. But I agree -- I think his political days may be over.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Dub, Kerry flip-flopping was only made up if you somehow want to completely ignore his voting record as a Senator.

The facts are there. Whether they were exaggerated is another issue, but there is no doubt whatsoever that Kerry changed his mind about major issues multiple times.

Hillary would be an interesting candidate to see run from a conservative perspective. Quite honestly, I wouldn't mind, because I don't think she would win. There isn't any "hard evidence" to back that statement up, but I just have a gut feeling that she wouldn't win a POTUS race in '08.

---

What I'll also mention, though, is that no one knows on the GOP side either. Dream matchup, just for demographic's sake? Condi and Hillary. That would be interesting to watch unfold. Somehow, I doubt that's happening.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

a little petty revenge for 10th grade English:

a wain is a large farm thing

wane is to dim

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Parker,
A lot of it also depends on whether you call changing your mind "flip-flopping."

If I think the Earth is the center of the solar system, and then you prove to me that I was wrong and I change my mind, am I a flip flopper? Or do I simply have new information with which to make a more informed decision?

Where the Kerry campaign failed (among millions of other ways) was in not showing that Bush is as big a flip-flopper as anyone. Unless of course new information comes to light, and then he just goes back in time and changes his rationale. Stay the course, but with new reasons.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Good catch, Josh. My powers are waning. Consider me smote. The scales have tipped.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

It reminds me of a time when I said, "Josh, your paragraph needs to be fully developed to prove your point," to which you responded, "No, a paragraph is defined as 3-5 sentences."

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

ahahahaha

i seriously think of that every time mrs. neimi tells us to write a paragraph, and then i write a 3-5 sentence paragraph.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

After some brief research, I too like Russ Feingold. His devotion to campaign finance and severe restriction on government spending endears him to me, as does his voting for John Roberts.

However, he voted against renewal of the federal assault weapons ban, and is most likely pro-choice, so I'm not throwing support behind him - especially not this early in the game.

I would love to see a McCain-Feingold matchup to make up for the poor choices in the last election.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger LogGamer posited...

I view the presidency more as a symbolic position than most. Although s/he does have a lot of impact on policy, I believe that policy creation should be focused more in the legislature. From that point of view, I don't feel like Hillary would make a good President. Many people would not respect her, she doesn't have the charisma that a lot of people do, and a lot of countries (mostly mid-east, which already are little pissed off at us) would look down on her and think less of America as a country. That's not saying that women would not be good domestically as a president, but internationally a female president MAY lead to problems.

*backs up and waits for the Wanninger onslaught*

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Jason,
I'm with you on the assault weapons ban, but here is an article that sheds some light:
Feingold

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

It's good to hear that he listens to people... it seems like some national politicians are so distant from the people. And by some I mean all.

Logan, I don't like women either. :P

The Middle East will certainly be interesting in the next election, since we'll probably still be there :S I don't really support McCain's hearty support of the war, but I also disagree with Feingold's suggestion that a date should be set for troop withdrawal; these sorts of decisions should be left up to the troops, as should have been the ones regarding attacking in the first place.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

I don't mean "troops" so much as those in direct charge of the troops... the generals, etc.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

The biggest downside to Hillary is that she has no realistic shot of winning in this day and age. She just isn't the man's man that Janet Reno (or Condoleeza) is.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Or Josh Holbrook.

I'd vote for him.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Logan, if the Middle Eastern countries look down on us for having a female president, then isn't that reason enough to do it?
Vote for Hillary or the Terrorists Win!

Pakistan had a female prime minister. Britain had one of the most powerful leaders in the world in Margaret Thatcher (and no one can claim that she was charismatic!)

It is just so sad to me that gender is even an issue. The fact that we even consider it important is what really makes the world look down on us.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I remember once last year, one of my sophomore students, who was a female, said, "No way! We should never have a girl as president!"

First, what?

Second, Hillary is not 12.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

That is sad.

Even more importantly, the Democratic Party is having an identity crisis and not many of the members of the Democratic Senate and House are doing much to help it. By continuing to support the war and the PATRIOT act they are just helping out the Republicans.

Obama for President!

 
At 4:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I am by no means a flaming feminist, however I totally disagree with the persepective that some hold on women presidents. Yes America would most likely be looked down upon by the middle east, but aren't we already? Also times are changing in the middle east, and with the arabic culture in general. Women are slowly, but surely, becomming increasingly more important in the middle east and the arabic culture in general...

Personally I don't care if the next president is male or female. What I'm concerned with is what that person will do once elected in office... However I must admit that I don't feel Hilary is a strong enough canidate for the presidency, especially during this time. She doesn't present a strong enough image. (sorry if the last part doesn't make sense).

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Brett posited...

Don't forget about German Chancellor Angela Merkel. She fought her non-charismatic image and appears to have developed as a strong leader. Could we see the same with Hillary? Perhaps...

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

I'd just want to see Bill Clinton back in the White House and that'd be reason enough for me to vote for Hilary.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

I'm pretty sure that Bill's foremost wish would be to become First Man. It would be like one giant 4-8 year party.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Hey. I already called First Man.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger CM posited...

Heck yes Wisconsin rocks!
Oh baby.
my dad has met Herb kohl and Russ. He said theyre nice. the Kohls are bigwigs in my dad's country club. fuckin a'

everytime i drive to Milwaukee I always see a lot of RUSS for PResident bumperstickers from Madison to Milwaukee. hes quite the rock star to those kids.

I like russ. I dont have anything for or against hilary, I just think her track record has been too obligatory to the GOP lately and would hurt her chances. that or a power struggle inside the democratic party which would split it and give a GOP candidate the up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home