Monday, February 13, 2006

That's a wrap

The Films of 2005

Missed Opportunities
There were a few movies that I really wanted to see but for some reason did not get to see, and from what I hear from other people, might have had a place on my "Best Of" list had I seen them:
  • The Squid and the Whale
  • Me and You and Everyone We Know
  • The Aristocrats
  • Transamerica
  • Grizzly Man
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • Match Point
  • Cinderella Man

Guilty Pleasures
Some movies in 2005 were just guilty pleasures that I enjoyed immensely:
  • Mr. & Mrs. Smith
  • War of the Worlds
  • Wedding Crashers

Runners-Up
2005 had a lot of great movies, and not all of them can be on my "Best of" list. So here are a few movies that I loved in 2005, but that did not quite make the cut:
  • Mysterious Skin
  • The Upside of Anger
  • Junebug
  • The 40-Year Old Virgin
  • The Family Stone
  • Broken Flowers

and finally . . .

The Best Films of 2005*
(* in my humble opinion)

15. Batman Begins
14. Shopgirl
13. Jarhead
12. Walk the Line
11. Sin City
10. King Kong
9. A History of Violence
8. Munich
7. Crash
6. Millions
5. Good Night, and Good Luck
4. The Constant Gardener
3. Brokeback Mountain
2. Syriana
1. Capote


9 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

There are so many movies that I really've wanted to see, but they don't come to Spain. For instance Jarhead still isn't here and Pride and Predjiduce(sp sorry) never came :( etc. But we get a lot of other flicks that I most likely wouldn't see in the states.

You're right, 2005 was a decent year for movies.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

1) Wishing I'd seen Capote while it was in Brainerd.

2) Cinderella Man was a good movie. The plot was pretty simple and predictable, the appearance was nothing too spectacular, but this just left way for the movie to focus on one truly amazing aspect: Crowe's acting.

3) I only saw four of the movies on the top 15, and three of them (Jarhead, Syriana, Munich) shared rough similarities. :(

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

why is deuce bigalow european gigolo missing from that list?

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger hannah posited...

i hated me and you and everyone we know. alot. well, maybe not alot, but i definitely wish i would have spent my money elsewhere.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

Narnia was terrible.

Capote was pretty good

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

15. Batman Begins
13. Jarhead
12. Walk the Line
11. Sin City
10. King Kong
8. Munich
7. Crash
3. Brokeback Mountain
2. Syriana

I'd say that I largely agree with your list, but I liked Munich a lot more than "8."

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

JV - I have to admit that most of the numbers from 5-10 are fairly arbitrary. If I had done the list tomorrow, perhaps my mood would have been different and Munich would have been #6. It's is all fairly fluid, I think, though I am very comfortable with my top 5.

Paul, I did like Narnia actually. And I thought of it later while I was sitting in class this evening. I thought is was a very good movie, and as I sat in class, I thought about whether or not to go back and add it. But then I figured that if it had really made an impact on me, I would have remembered it originally.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Wedding Crashers made my whole month of June a little bit better.

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I agree with JV---Munich is higher in my opinion (as well as Shopgirl), though you know all of this already.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home