Tuesday, December 13, 2005

So merry, merry

Sometimes I listen to Christmas music, but I did not grow up with such tunes playing in my house. We did not listen to Perry Como or Johnny Mathis or Bing Crosby singing the songs o' the season, so I have no emotional connections to such songs -- I know someone who once said "Christmas IS Perry Como." I think not.
But I have always liked it when contemporary artists do Christmas songs -- for some people this is blasphemy, I realize. Now I don't mean that I listen to Jessica Simpson's Rejoyce album or the Destiny's Child Christmas album (although their "Carol of the Bells" is quite lovely.)

Some songs that I like:
"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" - Jack Johnson
"O Holy Night" - Tracy Chapman
"Winter Wonderland" - Annie Lennox
"Silent Night" - Sinead O'Connor
"Christmastime" - The Smashing Pumpkins
"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" - Barenaked Ladies w/ Sarah McLachlan

Some songs are best done by the original artist, like "Baby, It's Cold Outside" by Dean Martin. I also like some of the "oldies" like "Little St. Nick" by the Beach Boys and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" by the Jackson 5. I also love "Do They Know it's Christmas" by Band-Aid.

Two of my favorite Christmas songs are sung by R&B genius Otis Redding, whose voice is both angelic and mournful. One of these songs is "Merry Christmas, Baby," which is joyous and bluesy and full of heart.

But the all-time best version of any Christmas song is "White Christmas," sung by Otis Redding. I know Bing Crosby made this song famous, but Otis Redding gave it a soul. If you have not heard it (it can be heard in Love Actually, by the way) and you like Christmas songs, then download it now. Sometimes, the purity and pain behind Otis Redding's voice gives me goosebumps.

8 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

I downloaded a Beatles version of "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree" the other day. I also have a couple of Ramones Christmas covers, but I can't remember names. My all time favorite? "Ava Maria" (sp?) as done by Stevie Wonder.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

on Conan OBrien the other night Coldplay did a song in the usual fashion of late night shows, but then at the very end of the show, Chris Martin went on stage with a piano and did a christmas song (i forget which). It was very lovely until Conan came out in a brightly colored Christmas sweater and sang the rest of the song with CM as a duet with an obnoxious croony sort of voice. It was funny, but i would have prefered that CM just do it by himself, as it would have been very good.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

i heart christmas music, and there was a special place in my heart last year for jessica simpson's 'baby it's cold outside.' (was that what it was called?) my theory is, maybe i really DO have bad taste!
whatever. my point is, i need more good old christmas music in my collection.
also how fucking ridiculous is this "war on christmas" crusade?

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

THANK YOU TOM. YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Carson posited...

"Christmas Time is Here" from the Charlie Brown Christmas movie is my favorite. I also enjoy Jimmy Eat World's rendition of "Last Christmas".

I also suggest checking out the Christmas Remixed series. Most of the songs aren't that great, but there are a couple really good tracks.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

youre welcome, john.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, Tom -- I have heard Coldplay do "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" all slow and piano-y. Was that what they played on Conan?

Jake, I have heard a few of the remixed (and the "regrooved" albums that are pretty good.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Dr Em posited...

what about christina aguilera's christmas CD? i think it's great!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home