Saturday, November 05, 2005

"I got lost on my way to college"

I saw Jarhead tonight.

I loved it. It was unlike any other war movie, since it is about a war unlike any other war. The acting was great, and the first half of the movie was very, very funny. I did not know it was going to be a half-comedy. And the second half was quite emotional.

The director, Sam Mendes, has managed to make sand and oil wells beautiful, and he throws in some excellent allusions to Apocalypse Now and The Deer Hunter.

I think that someone looking for We Were Soldiers might be disappointed. But as most of you know, I am a big fan of the shattering of literary expectations.

10 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Josh posited...

I also thought Jarhead was a pretty good movie.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

i almost went and made my evening activity a double-feature picture show, but then i didn't. but i will.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

I'm so excited to see it, now I just have to find a time when I'm not working.....

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

I liked it. I also liked We Were Soldiers. My only question is what did the horse mean?

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I think it was an image of senseless suffering and "innocent bystander." And it was a way to show that Swoff had not lost all of his compassion.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

And John, I also liked We Were Soldiers. My point was that if someone goes to this thinking it will be a battle-filled, ultraviolent war film, he/she may not like it.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger CM posited...

I loved it! Peter Sarsgaard is my numer uno favorite actor. He really didnt have a big enough part i thought. My favorite part was when Sarsgaard breaks down about not getting to kill anybody. and the general looks at him and on the floor crying and says "man, you STA boys are some fucked up mothers" or something to that effect.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Another question: how did a horse end up in the middle of Iraq? Don't they generally ride camels?

Personally, my favorite part was when Jamie Foxx explained why he loved his job. "Oorah."

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

I kinda miss a convenient and close (and relatively cheap) movie theater.

At least I can see Harry Potter over thanksgiving.

ooooooooh yeah.

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Hey JC!!! Nice blog! How's it going? What's new? I'm in Holland. It's great. My email is erika.lade@gmail.com if you want to write! Hope things are well. -Erika
p.s. I ain't got no swimmin' in my show!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home