Thursday, October 27, 2005

Softly soaring through my atmosphere

More things I currently like (television edition):
  • the video for "Soul Meets Body" by Death Cab for Cutie -- somehow the idea of strange ground-spores turning into musical notes (in the "a melody softly soaring through my atmosphere" kind of way) becomes a heartbreaking journey of struggle and hope
  • the preview for Jarhead -- I love the way "Don't Worry, Be Happy" blends into "Jesus Walks," leading up the the voiceover saying "Welcome to the suck." Plus it is directed by Sam Mendes.
  • the video for "Dirty Little Secret" by The All-American Rejects -- I said video, mind you; I don't like the song. But the video is brilliant, with people displaying their own secrets, from "I like the smell of my own poop" to "I had gay sex at church camp" to "I only love two of my children." Very intelligently made.
  • the preview for Shopgirl -- I have always been a HUGE Steve Martin fan, plus the preview features "The Sound of Settling" in the background.
  • the current season of Grey's Anatomy -- I liked it last year, but I love it this year. It's touching and very funny.
  • the video for "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt -- A stark, cold, sublime expression of beauty and love
  • my new HD widescreen television with DVR -- DVR is the greatest invention, and watching DVDs on a HD widescreen is a whole new experience. Plus, my favorite tv shows, when broadcast in HD, are like all new shows now. Hurray for over-indulgent consumerism!

7 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger J0hn posited...

The preview for Jarhead is pretty sweet. I like the song that closes it up.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

please forgive me, but what is DVR? I´m kindof out of the loop here in Spain/Africa.

And I miss Greys Anatamy and Desperate House Wives.Hmmm, my American ways.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

DVR is "digital video recorder" -- it is built into the cable box and it can record shows (even 2 at the same time) and you can fast forward through commercials, etc. all without videotapes.
Plus, it automatically creates a buffered recording of shows you are currently watching, so you can pause and rewind live tv!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

AKA TiVo

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

That TV makes me almost drool. I'm barely holding on.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

I haven't used my TiVo yet. Someday, God willing, I will find something that I actually want to watch bad enough to both TiVo it and follow through and watch it.

ps. The word verification for this post is "bonerxr"

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

ok thanks.... I could really use that here. My host father always wants to watch soccer, and i´d much rather watch something more relevant to my life like "Mira qué baila!"
LOL JK.

thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home