Monday, September 26, 2005

Love Is A Force Of Nature

I'm back after a brief blogging hiatus -- I spent the weekend down at Purdue again, visiting a couple of friends. We had a tremendous amount of fun. Then today I had my first grad school test, and let me just say that if all grad school tests are this easy, then this will be a breeze. But I know they won't all be this easy, though for this particular class (The History of Film) they will.

So, fall and early winter is when all the best movies come out, lining up for awards and such. Here is my list of upcoming movies that I really want to see. You can see that the list features mostly the independent movies, but I guess that's just the way I am.

(in order of release date)
  • Capote -- because Phillip Seymour Hoffman can do no wrong
  • The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio -- Julianne Moore is hands-down my favorite actress
  • Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit -- If you have never seen a Wallace and Grommit clip, then you are truly missing out
  • Good Night and Good Luck -- George Clooney directs this movie about famed tv journalist Edward R. Murrow taking on Joseph McCarthy. It will be nice to see a journalist actually calling a politician on something.
  • Elizabethtown -- Ok, this one is a mixed bag. I love every movie Cameron Crowe has made, but Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst, not so much. We'll see.
  • North Country -- Great actors on the Iron Range . . . what more could you ask for?
  • Shopgirl -- I am huge Steve Martin fan, and this is adapted from his novel
  • Jarhead -- directed by Sam Mendes (American Beauty), with Jake Gyllenhaal and Jamie Foxx in the first Gulf War
  • Syriana -- I love a good spy thriller, and I have liked previous Damon/Clooney pairings
  • Brokeback Mountain -- This one is winning festival awards left and right, including the grand prize at the Venice Film Festival. Just your average gay cowboy love story. Advanced word is that it is devastatingly heartbreaking, and that Heath Ledger will be nominated for an Oscar. Plus, it's directed by Ang Lee.
  • King Kong -- Ok, so this one is not so independent, but it is directed by Peter Jackson, after all
Most of these won't come to DeKalb, but there are many theaters in driving distance, so I hope to get to most of them.


By the way, congrats to those of you who were cast in the BHS fall play. Make me proud.

6 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger CM posited...

I am looking forward to Walk the Line. Lately I have become a Johnny Cash fan.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger LogGamer posited...

Wow, I hadn't even heard of most of those, I'll toss the ones that look good to me on my list though. And thanks!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

thoughts on Everything Is Illuminated?

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah -- Chris, I do want to see Walk the Line as well. I just left it off my list.

And Maya -- I forgot about Everything is Illuminated. I was going off an "upcoming releases" list, and it wasn't on there, since it is technically a "current release." But I do want to see it.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

I'd go for "A History of Violence." Great story, and I hear ol' Viggo offers up the performance of his career. (prior to this film, that was CLEARLY "Hidalgo")

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

the trailer for king kong rocks faces...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home