Tuesday, February 09, 2010

My Birthday Post

Well, here we go again.

As always, I have a few things to write about on my birthday. First of course, my recent annual tradition of the Periodic Table Birthday:

I just finished my Krypton year, and I must say I am glad to be done with noble gases, at least for another 18 years1. But now begins my Rubidium Year. While I like the name Rubidium, I'm not sure the year looks good for me. After all, rubidium is "not known to be necessary for any living organisms." Crap. Just when I thought I was making a difference. In addition, rubidium is well-known as a polarizing element.

At various times in our lives, we are more reactive than at other times. I assume that now that I am back in the alkali metals group (where I haven't been since I was 19), I can expect these reactive qualities to pop back up. I don't remember being particularly reactive when I was 19, but hey, that was my Potassium Year, so what did I know? In addition, though it seems like it will start off rough, I am glad to be in a new row/period for a while.


Other than that, 37 is a pretty boring number. It is the human body temperature in Celsius, so I guess to be a completist I can try to make it to 98.6 years old.2

But here's what I do know: Today my students guessed I was 28, and when I told them "I wish," they told me that the oldest I could possibly be is 34. So I have that going for me.


1Yeah, this means nothing.
2 Or, if I am really ambitious, I'll try to live to 310, the body temperature in Kelvin.

2 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger Carson posited...

Happy Birthday Coach Dub!

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous deedub posited...

Students are the devil. They pretend to guess I'm still in my forties when I'm actually deceased. Don't believe a word the little demons speak...

but anyway happy birthday and you can't be that old or it would make me nearly 45...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home