Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"I don't quit."

The State of the Union

I would have liked to have LiveBlogged the State of the Union speech tonight, but Wednesday night is grad school night. My prof did let us out early so we could go home and watch the speech, but my class is in the suburbs, and I did not get home until about 8:15. I listened to the first part of the speech on the radio, and then I watched the rest when I got home.

First, I must say that I have been feeling a little disappointment in the administration and the government in general these days. Though I do think that people have expected change too quickly, I have been one of those people at times.

But tonight, I loved Barack Obama. Of course I agree with almost all of his policies (though the spending freeze is a bit gimmicky), but I loved his tone. He admitted errors and accepted blame for things that were his fault, but he also put rightful blame on Congress. I love that he told the Democrats not to run for the hills, and I love that he said that accepting the status quo is what got us here in the first place.

I loved that he called for the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I love that he stressed the importance of not giving up on health care reform. I love what he said about the character of America. And I love that he gave some specific proposals to help make things better.

Mostly though, I loved that he brought some sass to the proceedings. That's right--sass.

4 Comments:

At 12:13 AM, Blogger PBear posited...

I'm not so convinced.

Here's his bit on the deficit as I understand it.

"I want to spend on this, this, this, this, and this. Don't say I'm spending too much because the deficit is Bush's fault. Hey, the banks paid most of TARP back; I'm going to spend that money on something that isn't likely to do what it's supposed to. I'm also going to tax the banks before they pay the rest of TARP back to exacerbate whatever liquidity problems they still have. I hate Wall Street. Don't worry, I'm going to institute a spending freeze... excluding the vast majority of the budget, times are tough after all."

Tax breaks + spending at this rate isn't sustainable. A lot of talk with no real solution.

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

I love that Chris Matthews said the speech made him forget that Obama was black for an hour.

I can't figure out if that's because everytime he thinks of Obama, he thinks of race first, or because he figures no black person could deliver an eloquent reading of a teleprompter.

Of course, Chris seems to be scooting under the radar. If Rush had said the same thing, then his image would be burned in effigy for the __th time.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

On an entirely different note,

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100129&sportCat=nfl

Congratulations Dub. Being a Vikes fan is painful, but your favorite team is the undisputed champ. Scroll to the end to see the main point.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Ha. Thanks, Parker. That is an awesome article.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home