Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sort of Live Blogging . . .

I have seen many good movies lately, and I will be writing about them this week: The Wrestler, The Reader, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Tonight though I thought I would do a little bit of kind-of-liveblogging as I watch the Golden Globes.  In general I think the Golden Globes are fairly silly awards--any group that puts Mamma Mia and In Bruges in the same category has some problems.  

But because there were so many great films this year, I thought I'd add some thoughts along the way.  And seeing the drunk celebrities is always fun.

Be back soon . . . 

7:03 -- Best Supporting Actress -- The only performances I have seen are Kate Winslet and Marisa Tomei, and both were outstanding.

And the winner is . . . Kate Winslet. She is one of the best actresses working today, so I am glad to see her win.  Her role in The Reader was more of a lead than a supporting, but she is nominated for Lead Actress for another movie, so there you go.  Good choice.

7:06 -- What the hell is going on with Sting? Apparently he is playing a lumberjack in an upcoming film.

7:08 -- Best Original Song -- I don't really care, though Bruce's song from The Wrestler is not bad and I love Peter Gabriel.  

And the winner is . . . Bruce.  No surprise there.

7:15 -- Best Supporting Actor in a TV Series/Movie -- Though How I Met Your Mother is not the best show, Neil Patrick Harris is hilarious on it, and if he won, that would be good.

And the winner is . . . Tom Wilkinson.  Well, I did not see John Adams, but Wilkinson is one of the best actors around.

7:18 -- Best Supporting Actress in a TV Series/Movie -- I don't know most of these roles.  Laura Dern wins it, and she was very good as the nutbag Katherine Harris in Recount.

And there we have our first political moment of the night.  Go, hope!

7:25 -- Don Cheadle is introduced as the star of the upcoming movie Hotel for Dogs.  Yes, that is what he wants to be remembered for.

All right . . . I not am going to post about every award.  My back hurts from trudging through the slush and snow, so I am going to sit in my recliner with an ice pack.  I'll post again when something interesting happens.  If something interesting happens.  Of course we are all looking forward to Heath Ledger's win.  

7:48 -- OK . . . Best Supporting Actor-- Heath Ledger of course wins.  He was amazing, of course, and would maybe have won if he were still alive.  But this is a poignant and bittersweet moment.

8:19 -- Best Screenplay -- Slumdog Millionaire.  Fantastic.  This original and stirring movie deserves all the awards it gets.

8:22 -- Best Actor in a TV Comedy -- Alec Baldwin wins, and quite rightly.  He is a comic genius and delivers some of the funniest lines in the driest ways.  Brilliant.

8:34 -- Best TV Comedy.  Either The Office or 30 Rock should win, obviously.  But who will it be? . . . And the winner is . . . 30 Rock!  Yes!  Words cannot express how much I love this show.  Tina Fey rules the school.  And apparently Tracy Morgan is insane.

8:48 -- She does indeed rule the school.  Best Actress in a TV Comedy: Tina Fey!  I love it.

9:10 -- This is not glamorous or exciting.

9:14 -- Ooh, a big award.  Best Director.  I really think Danny Boyle should win for Slumdog Millionaire . . . and he does!  His direction here is amazing; he created a real work of art, and it is about time he got some recognition.

9:18 -- Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy (stupid musical or comedy category) -- The only one of these movies I've seen is In Bruges, which I would not qualify as a comedy.  But Colin Farrell really did a great job here and deserves this win.

9:29 -- Best Picture, Musical or Comedy -- Vicky Christina Barcelona.  No thanks.  No desire to see that movie at all.  Not even a slight one.

9:38 -- Best Actress in a Drama -- Maybe Kate Winslet will win twice . . . And she does.  Fantastic!  That must be a first, but she deserves it.

9:44 -- Best TV Drama -- Mad Men.  I really need to start watching this.  Everyone who watches it loves it, so I should get on it.

9:50 -- Best Actor in a Drama -- This category has some great performances . . . and the winner is Mickey Rourke.  I will be blogging about the incredible film The Wrestler this week, but for now, I will say that Mickey Rourke really was amazing.  "I'd like to thank all my dogs."  Nice, Mickey.

9:59 -- Slumdog Millionaire wins it.  That film has a lot of momentum right now, so we will see what happens next month at the Oscars.

Some good winners tonight, and no real surprises.  A fairly boring show.  But I have some great reviews coming up this week.

2 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Go Borat! Topical humor is great.

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I was disappointed by Benjamin Button. My faves from this season have been Gran Turino and the Wrestler. Mickey Rourke looked like a rockstar at the globes, and he deserved best actor, I think. I'll have to steal Slumdog Millionaire ASAP, since I really like Danny Boyle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home