Monday, January 19, 2009

From every mountainside

This is not the post I planned to write.

I had considered writing a sort of last blog entry about George Bush, discussing why I think that his administration has been a profound failure that has set our nation back.  But I don't want to expend anymore energy on that man.  

So on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and the day before Barack Obama's historic inauguration (and whether you voted for him or not, if you cannot see the historic importance of tomorrow then I am not sure you are actually alive), I wanted to post something deep and meaningful about my thoughts and feelings.  I wanted to somehow put into words the profound feelings of hope and inspiration I have for the future.  But I cannot really put it into words.

I watched a lot of coverage today about both MLK and the inauguration, and all I could think about was the wonderful convergence of these two days.  I spent much of the day getting all choked up, and not just because of Barack Obama, but because of what his election means for the history of the United States.  And for the future.

I realize that President Obama will not have a magic wand and will not be able to perform miracles.  But what I rediscovered watching interview after interview with regular Americans is what he makes people feel about themselves and about their country.  People all over the nation are being inspired to serve a greater good, being inspired to want to help others, being inspired to help mend and build bridges.

I know many people roll their eyes at such talk, and I understand it. I am as cynical about human nature as anyone, but people everywhere all talk about the same thing: some sort of major shift is occurring; something is up; the air is different.

I do not think President Obama will be able to solve everything.  But I do believe he will help make the citizens of the country want to try.

I am beginning to feel something that I have not felt in a long time: a deep and patriotic love of country.  America is beautiful, but it has been behind a cloud.

This is not the post I planned to write, because I don't know how to say what I want to say.

3 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger KCSherri posited...

I understand you completely. We live in a great country - and for the first time in 8 years, I go to bed tonight with....hope! Ain't it grand?!

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Today I am a PROUD American

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Coming home today from an international conference attended by delegates from 84 countries, I can say that if nothing else, President Obama makes it vastly easier to be a patriotic American abroad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home