Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My apple tree, my brightness

Today I took a little trip a few blocks north to the famous Graceland Cemetery. (It has nothing to do with Elvis.) I have been to this beautiful cemetery before, but not for years and years. What I love most about Graceland Cemetery, in addition to the ornate monuments, is that it is a four square block patch of peace and serenity in the middle of the city.

Graceland features many very old gravestones and some very huge stones. Many of Chicago's founders and city big-wigs are buried here, and it is easy to spot graves of people for whom streets and buildings are named.

Some photos . . .

Some graves are small and simple:


Some are tombs built in to hills:

Some monuments are giant obelisks:


And some are highly ornate works of art:

Some tombs are quite big (note the "L" train in the background, showing that we are deep in the heart of the city):

And some are even bigger:

Some monuments are pyramids:


Some grave sites are set on private islands:

Many graves are watched over by various statues, such as saints:
Or flower-bearing lasses:


Or angels:


Or weird sphinx-people:


Or Greek scholars (Goodman is the founder of a highly renowned theater in Chicago):

Or awesome carvings of Jesus:


Or knights:

Or scary religious figures that may be Mary:


And some monuments are for world famous influential architects:

So that is what I did today.

7 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

That last picture is really cool.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

yeah, this is really awesome.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

also, wv was kind of cool. exluvla

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Thanks, guys. I like the way my pics turned out, too.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

I want a knight watching over my grave. Who's going to mess with your corpse then? Nobody.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

I'm surprised you were able to take photos. My friend Marina and I went to the Hollywood Cemetery to take photos for one of her classes and we were accosted by a guard who told us that it was illegal to take photos of personal graves....

Those pictures you took are quite amazing, though.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Andrew Hatcher posited...

Puts me in the mind of good poetry and The Smiths. Which don't always go together. But sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home