Monday, November 12, 2007

Boiler and/or Hookah Up!

Long time, no post . . .

Parent-Teacher Conferences went very well. Everyone was very nice, and it was good to meet a lot of the parents. And, in the week when the voters of Brainerd roundly rejected the idea of education, I felt especially lucky to be now teaching in a district that appears to whole-heartedly supports its schools.

So then I drove down to West Lafayette to see my friends at Purdue. After some festivities on Friday night, we got up early for a day of tailgating and football fun. As you all probably know, I care very little about college football, but the Purdue-Michigan State game was pretty fun, and the tailgating before and after the game was even more fun. I got to hang out with great friends, meet some new friends, toss some beanbags, and generally have a wonderful time.


In the evening after the game, we went out to a great Middle Eastern restaurant/hookah bar, where we had some delicious food, and then the owner let us sample his new mojito-flavored hookah tobacco, which sounds very bizarre but was very tasty. I could never be a cigarette smoker because I am completely repulsed by the thought, but a once-in-a-while mojito-flavored hookah experience . . .

Anyway, I always love hanging out with John and Tiff, and I cannot wait to see them again soon.

10 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger Pammy posited...

mr. w, do you have a good hummus recipe?

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

The occasional hookah is great! Have you ever considered smoking premium hand rolled cigars? The top end cigars have a great diversity of flavors to tickle the palate.

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

mojito flavored hookah. . .that actually sounds kinda good, but at the same time odd.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

tossed around some beanbags?

Did, did you throw them into the mouth of a clown that was painted on a plywood plank?

and pammy, my mother has a hummus recipe which I'm sure she would share with you.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Pammy posited...

i would love that!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger constant_k posited...

How to make hummus, the Martha Kuehn way:
1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)

Discard half of the liquid in the bean can, and add the remaining liquid and the beans to a bowl with the other ingredients. Blend with a food processor. Let flavors blend for a while before enjoying with veggies or chips.

Dub you should just change this blog from a journal-type thing into a forum for exchanging recipes.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Pammy, my recipe is kind of a non-recipe. I use the same ingredients, but I usually just eyeball things instead of measuring anything.

But another important ingredient is extra-virgin olive oil.
I use salt and pepper though, but if you use salt, then don't use soy sauce.
And 2 cloves of garlic is not nearly enough! You need to be sweating garlic when you're done eating.

So, garbanzos, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. And sometimes I put a little cumin in it.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

And I have been told at many a party, that it is the best hummus ever.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

And Max, no clown--just holes in plywood planks.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Hm, Pammy never came back to this post. I wonder if she got the recipe...

WV: wiskt= wisk it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home