Wednesday, October 03, 2007

We carry the fire.

I recently read one of the best books I have read in years . . . maybe one of my favorite books ever. The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a true masterpiece. I am about a year late getting to this book, and I have actually owned it for quite a while, but I only recently got around to reading it. (It also won the Pulitzer Prize.)

I have loved other books by Cormac McCarthy, but nothing prepared me for reading The Road. The plot is simple: in a post-apocalyptic world (we never know the real details of what happened), most people are dead, and the world is gray and empty. A father and his young son walk along an abandoned highway trying to get to the ocean. They are met with brutal violence and terrible conditions, but the novel is so much more than a post-apocalyptic thriller.


Instead, The Road is a beautiful and tender father/son story, and it is among the most moving things I have ever read. Yes, the book is profoundly disturbing, but it is a power that haunted me long after I stopped reading it. At my new school, we frequently have "Reading Workshop" for students to read books of their own choosing. On these days, I also read along in whatever book I am reading at the time. As I was approaching the end of The Road, I felt my emotions welling up, and I knew that I was going to be a mess. So I had to stop reading, since I did not want to be all crying in front of my students. So I waited until class was over and finished it. On the train ride home that night, I simply stared out the window and thought about what I had just experienced.

I am still thinking about it, two weeks later.

7 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Blood Meridian is probably my favorite book and The Road was one of the best books I have read in a long time.

Cormac McCarthy amazes me.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Josh posited...

dude's a hardass, blood meridian is pretty hard to stomach, i probably preferred the book. but the road is good.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Tay posited...

k, i read this book because of what a hardass cormac mccarthy was suppose to be according to josh. i have to say i was greatly disappointed by the book. maybe i'm just some sort of philistine, but this book was not that good.

didn't stop me from stealing the title for one of my segments for "the crisis" (title also stolen from a true masterpiece of writing). check it out, the first part just got published in the dispatch today.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

"but this book was not that good"

You make a compelling argument, Tay. I'm convinced. What was I thinking? This book is crap.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Damn Oprah and her misleading ways.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger constant_k posited...

if you want true post apocolyptic drama, you should try rick walker's towering masterpiece, Mores.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

someone go on tay's facebook and pull up his list of his favorite books so we can ridicule him

 

Post a Comment

<< Home