Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Jigsaw falling into place

I am greatly intrigued and excited by Radiohead's announcement of a new album, In Rainbows.
  • First of all, Woohoo! A new Radiohead album.
  • Second, this news sort of crept up on a lot of people, since the album is coming out in 8 days.
  • Third, the group has decided to try to turn the music industry upside down. Radiohead has no record label, and so they have decided to release the album as a digital download only. The most important part of this decision, is that they are offering the album for whatever anyone wants to pay. If you want to pay $10, then pay $10. If you want to pay 2 cents, then pay 2 cents. They want fans to place their own value on the music. Read a news story about it here.
This all leads me to a curious place in my mind and/or conscience. A logical thing to do would be to buy the album for 2 cents. However, because I am so intrigued by this whole scenario, I am tempted to pay what I would pay on any other legal site. Maybe more. Strange.

I have a week to decide.

3 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

I think most of the true fans will pay a reasonable price, while people who like to have every artist on their Ipod will pay very little.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Benson posited...

I'd expect most people to pay a fair price. I paid four and a half pounds--roughly ten bucks--because, uh, it's Radiohead. For anybody else, I'd have just acquired a copy for free (we all have friends who are into Radiohead, right?).

I think this is a neat move on Radiohead's part, but it comes at the cost of selling their vinyl/cd package at a huge premium. I'm a huge fanboy, but I don't have $82 for that discbox. And here is where I go and cry, because that's what Radiohead fans do.

/scott tenorman

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Josh posited...

i doubt thom yorke needs the money

my 2 cents

 

Post a Comment

<< Home