Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Like slaves and soldiers

Out of respect and deference, I thought I would take a poll to see what people think is the best Jerry Falwell quotation.

Jerry Falwell
1933 - 2007

So please vote for your favorite:

  1. "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped [9/11] happen.'"
  2. "It appears that America's anti-Biblical feminist movement is at last dying, thank God, and is possibly being replaced by a Christ-centered men's movement which may become the foundation for a desperately needed national spiritual awakening."
  3. "Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions."
  4. "I believe that global warming is a myth. And so, therefore, I have no conscience problems at all and I'm going to buy a Suburban next time."
  5. "AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals."
  6. "The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country."
  7. "If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being."
Again, out of respect . . .

11 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Blogger undulatingorb posited...

I think my vote goes for #1. While they are all pure gems, the first one is, to me, the most nonsensical. We all know that really it's those whose first time was in an outhouse with their mother who are to blame for the terrorist attacks.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Angela posited...

While #4 brings back fond memories of the brainwashing I received in high school, I'd have to vote for #2. It's probably because I went to church with my mom on mothers day and got to listen to men in the congregation throw out amens when the pastor said that women should not have jobs outside of the home, that working mothers are responsible for all of the deterioriating families in America, and that women should stop being idle by watching Oprah.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Sorry. Can't make this decision! I'm one of the bad girls he spoke about. Oops! And, guess what? I raised Coachdub.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

Number one is very outlandish to me. After 9/11 I was somewhat suspicious that my gay cousin was in on the ordeal. He does a good job of hiding from the Feds. After seeing "Jesus Camp," all the Jerry Falwell types really began to scare the be-jesus out of me.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

I haven't even read the quotes yet; I'm just commenting on how awesome the picture is.


It's pretty great. I think he should get a tattoo of a different evangilist on each chin.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

3

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

5 is a winner.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

6.

James Madison: Satan in disguise?

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger sherlock posited...

I'll have to agree with Max on #3

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger matt posited...

5

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Alisa Smith-Riel posited...

I have to say that #7 is the winner because it is all encompasing and summarizes the exclusionary beliefs that Fallwell embraced and spewed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home