Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Second Annual Liveblogging the Oscars

6:49
My friends are here. We are finalizing our ballots (I am starting to feel Babel might win, but I am sticking with The Departed).
I am very excited about Ellen hosting. I love her stand-up and her talk show, so I think she will do a good job.

The Red Carpet Nonsense:
7:06
I don't like Chris Connelly.

7:14
Today there were tabloid pictures of Cameron Diaz toking up with Drew Barrymore. Just sayin'.

7:27
That purple-bedecked fashion guy was highly annoying. And he called Jennifer Hudson the "people's princess," several times. This nickname a) won't catch on, and b) is already taken.

The Show:
7:33
I like this opening bit. Highlights: Clint Eastwood, Eddie Murphy, Peter O'Toole, Alejandro González Iñárritu.

7:36
First thoughts:
  • Ellen is wearing purple velvet. She wins already.
  • My favorite lines: "We don't have time for boring speeches" and " . . . half a box of Chardonnay"
  • Why is Screech sitting next to Peter O'Toole?
  • I have always thought that the Oscars needed more gospel choirs.
7:45
First Award: Art Direction
And the winner is . . . Pan's Labyrinth. I picked it. 1/1

7:53
Max, Will Ferrell has stolen your hair. I suggest you sue for royalties. New highlight of the night: John C. Reilly singing "I chose to be in both Boogie and Talladega Nights."

7:57
Best Makeup
And the winner is . . . Pan's Labyrinth. 2/2
(I have not seen this yet, but it must be good--it beat Click in this award.)

8:00
Best Animated Short
(I have no idea about this. I guessed.)
And the winner is . . . The Danish Poet. Damn, I thought for sure The Little Matchgirl would win. Oh well. 2/3

Best Live Action Short
And the winner is . . . West Bank Story. This actually looks pretty cool, though I did not pick it. 2/4. I am failing.

8:13
OK, this Sound Effects Choir is awesome.

8:15
Best Sound Editing
And the winner is . . . Letters from Iwo Jima. I am glad this won. It is not what I picked. 2/5

Best Sound Mixing
And the winner is . . . Dreamgirls. Crap. 2/6
They are not going to let me get my degree.

8:21
(The first big award!)
Best Supporting Actor
And the winner is . . . What?!?! No Eddie Murphy? The first shock of the night. Well, I picked Eddie, but I am very happy that Alan Arkin won. I have always loved him, and he was brilliant in LMS. 2/7

8:26
"It's a cross between Goodfellas and Big Momma's House." I love Ellen.

8:37
Goddamn treehugging hippies. Go home, commies.
(That music cue was pretty funny though.)

8:43
Best Animated Feature
I did not see any of these, but everyone predicted either Cars or Monster House. And the winner is . . . Happy Feet. I suck. 2/8

8:52
More big awards . . . (PS. Helen Mirren looks great.)
Best Adapted Screenplay
And the winner is . . . The Departed. Woohoo! Finally, I got one right. (And the one I wanted to win, too.) 3/9

9:00
With one look, Meryl Streep can single-handedly save a terrible skit.

Best Costume Design
And the winner is . . . Marie Antoinette. I lost again, but I am glad this won (even though I have not seen it). 3/10

9:10
Ellen with Clint was quite enjoyable. I like that she gave Steven Spielberg tips on how to use the camera.

9:13
Best Cinematography
As I said in my predictions, Children of Men had some of the best cinematography I've seen in a long time. We'll see . . .
And the winner is . . . Pan's Labyrinth. Hmm . . . 3/11

9:20
Visual Effects
And the winner is . . . Pirates. Another win for me, though I did not like this film very much, it did have good special effects. 4/12

9:28
I am reminded of Jon Stewart's call for a "Salute to the Montage" from last year's show.

Best Foreign Language Film
And the winner is . . . The Lives of Others. Big surprise -- I thought Pan's Labyrinth would win. 4/13.
There are a lot of surprises tonight. Who knows what is in store . . .

9:34
Best Supporting Actress
If Jennifer Hudson does not win this, then all bets are off for the rest of the night.
And the winner is . . . Jennifer Hudson. 5/14

OK, she just said, "Thanks to everyone . . . for helping me keep the faith, even when I didn't believe." What does that mean?

9:43
Best Documentary Short
Yeah, I just guess on this one. And the winner is . . . The Blood of Yingzhou District. Guess whether I picked that . . . 5/15

9:45
Seinfeld just said "soda-welded." Sweet.

Best Documentary
OK, Hollywood liberals. Don't let me down . . .
And the winner is . . . An Inconvenient Truth. Awesome. I loved this important film, and I am glad it won. And I like the Gore renaissance. 6/16

9:55
First of all, Clint Eastwood must have been drunk.
Second, Morricone's score for The Mission is the best score of all time, as I mentioned once before.

10:08
Best Score
And the winner is . . . Babel. Excellent. This music was movie and beautiful. 7/17. (Hey, I got two in a row.)

10:12
Best Original Screenplay
And the winner is . . . Little Miss Sunshine! This screenplay truly deserved to win. I am very pleased with this award. 8/18

10:27
Nice singing, but it does not make me want to see the film any more. Jennifer Hudson was . . . filling out.

10:29
Best Original Song
And the winner is . . . Melissa Etheridge. Wow. This makes me happy. I liked this song and film, and I like her. But I picked one of those Dreamgirls songs, but who cares? The best song won. 8/19

10:41
(Too many montages . . .)
Film Editing
And the winner is . . . Thelma Shoonmaker for The Departed. OK, maybe this is a good sign for this film. I predicted Babel because of all of the story lines, but again, I am happy to lose. 8/20.

10:44
Time for the salute to dead people. Let us all reflect . . .
Seeing the actor from Cinema Paradiso in this tribute reminds me: if you have not seen Cinema Paradiso, do yourself a favor and rent it.

Now for the biggest awards . . .

10:52
Best Actress
(Again, this should be a lock. But who knows?)
And the winner is . . . Helen Mirren. Of course. The best performance by far. 9/21.

11:03
Best Actor
And the winner is . . . Forest Whitaker. Again, this was expected and deserved. Although Peter O'Toole would have given the best speech. 10/22

11:06 - But Forest Whitaker's speech was quite good.

11:07
Best Director
(Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please)
And the winner is . . . Martin Scorsese. Praise Jesus! (And the academy.) That makes me so happy. And the presenters sure make a powerful lot of people. 11/23

And the final award . . . It's like a mystery . . .
(By the way, Jack Nicholson bald = spectacular.)

11:13
Best Picture
And the winner is . . . The Departed!!! 12/24
I guess my pick here helps make up for my 50% score for the night. I am thrilled.

It was a good show. Not enough Ellen and too many clips, but enjoyable nonetheless. There were a few big surprises and some good laughs. And the best picture won Best Picture.

31 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

I'm so glad Pan's Labryinth won for art direction. Fabulous.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

and for makeup!!

Favorite word of the night so far:
"stick-to-it-iveness"

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger sarahnoel posited...

wait, how'd you jump to 3 wins if you picked Murphy? And is this a sign of things to come for Little Miss?

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, sorry. I had already typed in Eddie Murphy and 3/7, but then forgot to change 3/7. Maybe I jinxed him.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

We were thinking that maybe this is a sign for LMS.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

2/7 looks like my score on the last math quiz I took last year. I might have had 2/8 though. It's difficult to remember.

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I definitely see this as a sign for LMS. Or at least I hope so. Give the Director nod to Marty, but the Best Picture to LMS. And I see Happy Feet's win as a good sign for Gore.

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

God I love Wes Anderson. Too bad I hate American Express.

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Yes!!! for Alan Arkin. He was my pick and man, was he great. "Have as much sex as you can, and not just with one woman. How old are you? 16? Get on that, you are jailbait, they are jailbait." (or something to that effect.) That is classic. I watched that scene with my mom and she gave me one of those motherly looks.

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

With one look, Meryl Streep can single-handedly save a terrible skit.

I know! I loved her last year with Lily Tomlin. That lady is GOOOOOD at what she does.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Once again, Ellen is amazing.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I totally agree about Children of Men. I was disappointed it was not nominated for best film and I believe it should have won Best Cinematography. But there were some other great films in that category, and it is hard to say anything bad about Pan's Labyrinth.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

can i wear a red velvet suit??

also: wanninger, wtf! 3/11.....

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I know. I suck. Last year I was 11/11.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger LogGamer posited...

Vinnie, I'm surprised that you don't already own one.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger sarahnoel posited...

OK, she just said, " . . .for helping me keep the faith, even when I didn't believe." What does that mean?

I just said exactly that!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

You're right, logan. I should own one. First thing on my to-do list for tomorrow: buy red velvet suit.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger swalker posited...

It seems the producers were not aware Morricone would be giving his speech in Italian.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Tay posited...

man wanninger, you are getting slaughtered. kind of like me with this paper i'm writing. oh well, 25 pages aren't going to write themselves.

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Are we supposed to feel sorry for Tay or something?

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

omg. was that a nipple i almost saw?

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Yes vinnie, yes. Both Beyonce and Hudson.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Papers at Dartmouth: 25 pages
Papers at Minnesota: 6 pages

scoreboard.

I too am writing a paper currently. It is on the mechanism Karl Marx uses to relate relative value to relative price. Wanninger, your blog is serving as a reward after each subsequent page.

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Mr. W, I would like to thank you for a great evening. Not only was the live blog a blast, but my night was only made better by the fact that my current love intrest started IM-ing me do discuss the oscars. I think you are a good luck charm or something.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Thanks Scott. I think I kind of slacked off on my live blogging comments, but I am glad you enjoyed it. I had fun too.

And I am glad I can be a good luck charm for your love life.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

I'm glad Scorsese won.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

no mention of the prez's 60 second speech? that was a highlight, if only as negative reinforcement.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Tom posited...

there were some good moments, but overall i felt dirty and embarassed after this one...

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

also, i am really confused, in your predicitons, you have best original screenplay as a category, but in the liveblog i only see adapted screenplay.... im probably just missing something, but wtf?

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

oh nevermind i figured it out. i was going completely insane while counting 24 categories and not finding original screenplay. youve got Little Miss Sunshine winning it under the heading "Best Original Score"

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

thanks for pointing it out. I'll fix it right away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home