Monday, January 15, 2007

Auriferous spheroids

The Golden Globes are tonight, but these awards are actually not historically very significant. They are basically the same as other small awards, like the Broadcast Critics Award or the National Board of Review, but because of publicity and red carpet fever, these awards have grown into a spectacle. But in reality, it is just the Hollywood Foreign Press picking their favorites. So I usually do not do all the predictions and such that I put into the Oscars, but I do enjoy watching the show.

So in lieu of a list of predictions, I just offer some thoughts about the nominees:
  • I like all 5 movies nominated for Best Drama (The Departed, Babel, Bobby, The Queen, and Little Children), but obviously The Departed should win. (Bobby should have been replaced with one of three or four other films.)
  • One thing I do not like about the fact that they separate drama from comedy/musical is that sometimes the musicals that get nominated are really dramas. So I will be mad when Dreamgirls beats Little Miss Sunshine and Borat for best comedy/musical. (In fairness, I have not seen Dreamgirls.)
  • I am glad that Leo got two nominations, but Matt Damon should also have been nominated for The Departed. But either Peter O'Toole or Forest Whitaker will win.
  • Please, God, let Sacha Baron Cohen win. And also let Steve Carrell win again*.

* Update, 8:22 PM: I know I said I wanted Steve Carrell to win, but I am so happy that Alec Baldwin won. His work on 30 Rock (or 3rd Rock as Tim Allen announced) is some of the best work I've seen in a long time.

* Update, 9:33 PM: Thank you, Sacha Baron Cohen, for one of the great acceptance speeches of our time.

6 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

ugly betty beat out the office. what a joke. and i just saw little miss sunshine and i loved it. steve carrell should win the all around cool-guy award.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, he is pretty awesome. I love LMS, too.
I had a feeling that Ugly Betty was going to win, since the Golden Globes often recognizes new shows. Oh well.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Dub, for some reason I share your dislike of Dreamgirls despite not having seen it.

I guess it just feels like a crappy, overwrought, overrated movie that's gonna take the attention away from better, less mainstream films (LMS or Borat, for example.)

Besides, Eddie Murphy AND Beyonce Knowles? How can that possibly turn out okay?

Damn I wanna watch sacha's acceptance speech. Suppose it's on the interweb-tube somewhere?

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I don't know, but Bravo is re-running the awards show.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger matt posited...

that speech was great. and the fact that he did it straight-faced amazed me. and dreamgirls doesn't look that good to me as well.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Kelsi posited...

You have to give credit to Beyonce for doing what she does best: Outshining the rest of her group.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home