Tuesday, September 19, 2006

"I'm trying to save us all a lot of tsuris."

As the new TV season gets under way, I am looking forward to several season premieres: Lost, Grey's Anatomy, ER. But I have not been all that intrigued by many of the new shows, except for one. Ever since I first heard about Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, I have been jittery with anticipation. After all, Studio 60 is created by Aaron Sorkin, who is one of the best writers around. The first few seasons of West Wing showcased superb writing, and don't even get me started on Sports Night or The American President. In addition, ever since Matthew Perry's guest stint on West Wing, I knew that he was an actor of depth and complexity.


But as with anything, one worries that hype might damage the product. But in this case, I must say I am very impressed by what I saw last night. From Sorkin's clever dialogue to Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford's banter to the harsh jabs at current SNL, Studio 60 is well-written and well-acted, and it shows great potential.

So my list of appointment television has grown by one.

6 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

See, I would have watched Studio 60 whatever, but I was busy watching Horatio Caine using forensics (and justice) to bring down his wife's killer in Brazil.

You can keep your witty banter adn plausible storylines. I'll take David Caruso seeking revenge every time.

He STABBED the motherfucker on a HELIPAD on top of a MOUNTAIN!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

With his sunglasses?

(PS. Some people live in the current century, one in which a person is not forced to choose between shows that air at the same time.)

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Max, you just need two TV sets.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Kara posited...

I watched it last night as well and was also a little wary of all the hype, and I was impressed. I have not watched either "Friends" or "The West Wing" so everyone was a new face for me, but I enjoyed most of the main leads.

I'm definitely adding this to "Lost" and "House."

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

This show is also on Bravo on wednesdays at 10 pm I heard?

Hope so, then I can watch it.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Kara posited...

It is, Max. I learned that when my sister was freaking out that the Project Runaway on tonight was a repeat and had to make sure it wasn't just her seeing it as such and so we had to check Bravo for the next week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home