Sunday, June 25, 2006

One man's trash . . .

When I see that a movie like Click makes $40 million in its opening weekend, I get a little sad. It has been a long time since I have seen a movie preview quite as unfunny as this one (except of course Little Man). Seriously, when I see that preview at the theater, I just shake my head in disbelief. I truly cannot understand why Adam Sandler is popular. If there ever existed a one-trick pony (comedy-wise, anyway) in Hollywood, it is this fellow. I have not seen all of his movies, but why should I? After I stick my tongue on the stove three or four times, do I really need to keep trying it?

Everyone I know who likes Adam Sandler always points to Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison as the pinnacles of 90s comedies. I'll grant that there are a few funny moments in each of these movies, but his humor gets old very fast. And I will even grant that The Wedding Singer is better than most of his other movies. I think that this shows that when there is an ok script and Sandler is not just being himself but is instead playing an actual character, the results may not be terrible. But when the movie relies on Sandler just being stupid, the result is a mess. The Waterboy, for example, is entirely unwatchable. And Big Daddy is just irresponsibly bad.

I know some people will try to defend Sandler's humor, and of course people are free to like what they want. But personally I just do not get it. (In the same way, I do not find Ace Ventura or Tommy Boy even coming close to bordering on approaching being entertaining.)

So with that in mind, I offer a list:

Adam Sandler Movies that Don't Make Me Immediately Turn the Channel

1. Punch-Drunk Love*

* . . . which is an extraordinary film by Paul Thomas Anderson and shows that if Adam Sandler scrapped his semi-retarded routine, he might make some decent stuff.



But I will not be heading to Click this week.

(PS. While writing this, I decided to read some reviews of Click, and I discovered that Roger Ebert.com has a feature on the films of Adam Sandler this week.)

8 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I really like Adam Sandler, but I'm not planning on seeing Click either. I saw Spanglish and 50 First Dates; they were both kind of disappointing, and from what I've seen and read about Click, it looks it will be as well. It seems like his movies have been going downhill for a while. I think the most recent one I saw that I really liked was Mr. Deeds. I don't even know what the one about football-playing inmates was called.

I love the Wedding Singer though! It's by far my favorite of all his movies. "Now please get out of my Van Halen t-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up." Haha!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger jobble posited...

oh man spanglish. Sandler in a serious role plus J-lo is an all-star line-up. I had a dream that you were in wanninger last night btw lol. I think you were an announcer for the world cup.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

That was no dream, Josiah. Didn't you hear about my summer job?

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

J-Lo isn't in Spanglish. Did you mean "J-La," as in James Lancaster? I mix the two up all the time.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Can't you just picture wanninger, all sweaty in a rumpled suit and dirty tie screaming "GOOOOOAAAALLLLL!"?

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Kelsi posited...

Adam Sandler has provided a few different kinds of comedy. There is the stupid roles - Billy Madison, Big Daddy, The Waterboy - and then there are what I think of as "human" roles. These would include The Wedding Singer, The Longest Yard, and even 50 First Dates. I enjoy Wedding Singer above all the others, but still appreciate some of the comedic moments of all his other films.

My dad once asked why anybody liked Sandler. My mother asked him, "Do you hate him because he's funny, or because he's rich?"

I think that Sandler provides a wide audience with a "something for everyone" film most of the time, which is appreciated. Especially in ticket sales.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Happy Gilmore is hilarious, at least I find it so from a "golf" standpoint.

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

http://www.bestweekever.tv/2006/06/27/icymi-sandler-again-and-again-and-again/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home