Tuesday, June 20, 2006

"Employee's only"

Here's a rant:

So one of my big grammar pet peeves is the misuse of the apostrophe on public signs. As a teacher, I was always embarrassed to walk around the halls of Brainerd High School and see student-made signs that said things like "Get your t-shirt's and sweatshirt's now" or "Buy your prom ticket's from Paula in the Main Office."

But signs in public are the worst because I do not understand why a business would not have someone with a brain proofread. I always hated seeing the sign for Poncho & Lefty's that said "Margarita's, Fajita's, and Fun!" So I found a collection of such errors:





This is among the easiest of all grammar rules to understand. Nothing says "uneducated middle school dropout" like using an apostrophe to pluralize a word. Ignorant bastard's.

9 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Blogger sherlock posited...

How do you feel about the misuse of the apostrophe in "it's"?
From time to time I still confuse whether the apostrophe should show possession or the contraction.
Perhaps I should blame this on my English teachers who failed miserably in teaching me proper grammar...

wv:lbqeec

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, I'm not happy about that one either, Cameron, but it does not make me cringe as much as the apostrophe-as-plural.

PS. You must have had some REALLY lame English teachers . . .

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Oh wait. You're talking about me! Dammit! I've failed you.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger swalker posited...

Toward the end of this year they got fancy new plaques for all the classrooms in BHS. They have raised letters on a background. There were a couple which read "Teacher's Lounge." Someone apparently pointed out the error here, so to fix it the used white-out on the brand new signs and drew in an apostrophe in the correct place (after the 's') with a marker. Very classy.


Also: I often use an apostrophe in possesive "its", because that's the way I think it should be. I realize this makes me a terrible person.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Those signs were really bad, Mr. Wanninger. Good thing you were gone or you would've gone all Samson on BHS.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger sherlock posited...

Mr. Wanninger, was that four hour stretch between your comments for dramatic effect, or did it really take you that long?

Actually, I think you were the first teacher since the third grade to teach any grammar whatsoever. I remember many people had low and failing grades at the beginning of second semester in your class because of that preliminary vocab test though.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Cameron, I posted the first comment, and then my internet went down, but then when it came back up, I had to leave for work, so that explains the lag time. The whole time, I was thinking, "Crap, he's going to think I'm an idiot because of the delay between comments."

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Sure. We believe you.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

technically, the "employee's only" one could be right... i mean, that room could be owned solely be the employee...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home