Friday, April 14, 2006

The Passion of the Foulness

FYI: This post will be in two parts: one of praise and one of loathing.

Part One - In Praise Of
I have in the past linked to my friend Jake's blog. In my link bar, I refer to him as the Sacagawea of Blogging for the obvious reason that he showed the way, blazed the trail, etc. And because he has a large collection of deerskin tunics.
Anyway, in Jake's most recent post, he writes eloquently and humorously about indie-rock fans, and since many of my blog readers (and its creator) fall into this category, I thought it might be of interest to some of you. The post is a long one, but it contains the phrase "Douchebag of the Week," so if you have a few minutes to spare, check it out.
The post also highlights that although I am older and wiser to the ways of the world than Jake, I always have been and always will be jealous of his prose-contructing prowess. I have always believed that he will be a famous writer someday, and I will be the first one to call in when he sits with Mr. Lamb on C-SPAN's Booktalk.


Part Two - In Loathing of
This rant may provoke more reaction than some of my political posts, but since it is Good Friday, I have to get it out.

I am truly disgusted by the mere thought of most Easter candy.

To wit:
  • Once, when I was little, I bit into a hollow chocolate bunny, and the disgusting stench of bottled-up stomach fumes flowed from the newly masticated ear. I thought maybe someone in the factory had comsumed a large portion of beef stew and Rainier Beer and then belched into the bunny just before sealing it up.
  • Cadbury Creme Eggs - Absolutley nothing about these concoctions is a good idea.
But the one that inspires the most passion in people -- that people wait all year to eat . . .
  • Peeps. Peeps are, in my opinion, the foulest, most vile creation in the history of mankind. I don't like marshmallows anyway, but the mere idea of the crusty specks over the . . . I cannot even finish. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that sometimes at the store, I have to avoid even walking past the Easter candy aisle. When I even see a box of Peeps, I get the chills, and the hair on my neck stands up -- no lie. This can be classified as a phobia, I realize. I am Peepaphobic. As I am typing this and even thinking about Peeps, I have goosbumps, and my arm hair is at full attention.

I can't go on.

10 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Amen on the peeps. I give them all to my dad and my sister and God help them if they ever try to convince me that they're good...

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

I actually like Cadbury Eggs.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

I ate a little peep this morning.. mmm

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Tay posited...

i think cadbury eggs and marshmellow peeps are great. i love them. i don't like vomit-filled chocolate bunnies, but whatever.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Carson posited...

I saw a livejournal blog the other day where some crazy idiot tried making a cake with Cadbury eggs instead of real eggs. Just hilarious.

Easter candy is really the least annoying thing about the holiday in my mind. I could just do without the whole Jesus nailed to a cross thing. How am I supposed to keep up an appetite for hollow chocolate bunnies when people keep obsessing about poor guys gruesome death?

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I can't think of Peeps without thinking of a friend from work who could stuff a whole box of them in his mouth at one time. That really grosses me out.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

I'm picturing comic book guy eating peeps:

...98, 99, 100. If only real chicks went down this easy.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

yeah peeps are definately beyond aweful.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Peeps are only good in strict moderation.

Jelly beans, on the other hand...

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Serenity Now! posited...

I love cadbury eggs although I think it's silly how they actually make the inside white and yellow to mimic a real egg white/yolk. I cannot stomach peeps, but Jake love them like there's no tomorrow. Unfortunately, it's passover and they are not kosher for the holiday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home