Monday, April 10, 2006

Screening my friends

My New Friend
A Photo Essay

On my patio, I have a couple of bird feeders. The squirrels like to hang out underneath the feeders and eat all of the seeds that fall. So lately, I have started spreading a bit of "Critter Food" for them to enjoy. The squirrels have realized that I am the one who feeds them, so they are no longer scared of me. There is one squirrel in particular, whom I have named Farley, who does not even run away when I open the sliding door.

Farley, my new squirrel friend


I decided it would be fun to get down to his level and take some pictures. So I opened the sliding door and lay down on the floor in my house, aiming my camera out the door. Farley was into his food, but he came closer.



And then he came closer still, until he started coming into my apartment! He had his front two paws inside on my carpet. Now I like animals and all, but I did not want him inside. I was not sure how I would get him out if he came in.



So I had to close the screen door so he could not come in. He did not understand this new barrier between us.


Sorry little buddy, but I can't have squirrels in my place. I think it violates my lease.


"Don't shut me out!"


8 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

:-) I liked this post! I'm really wishing I had a squirrel friend!

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Shouldn't he be Farley II?

Hey John, have you considered a post about Dogville or Lars Von Trier's movies in general? I'd love to read your reaction!

Trevor

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Such an adorable squirrel! Your pictures made me giggle with joy.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger sherlock posited...

I once accidentally killed a squirrel in my backyard. I was using a boomerang, trying to learn how to get it to come back (it was authentic, my grandma got it in New Zealand) and I somehow managed to massacre a squirrel and not get it stuck in a tree.

Yes, I realize the word "massacre" would indicate the killing of more than one squirrel, but it was a pretty square beaning from the looks of it.

So anyways, I had a funeral in my backyard, with an excellent eulogy, where he was remembered as "Kirby III" (Kirbys I & II being past deceased fauna.)

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger rld posited...

This is hysterical.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

From now on, when asked to write an essay for school, I shall submit only the photo-variety.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Serenity Now! posited...

I love this. If Hawkeye were around though, the squirrels would not be so friendly. I bet you miss him. Love ya.

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

thats unbelieveably cute!!!!!!!!!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home