Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Digging to extend the lines

So I invented a new iPod game that relates in some way to being a literature student: "iPod Magnetic Poetry." With my iPod on shuffle, I will use the first line of the first song, the second line of the second song, third line of the third song, etc. to create a random poem. I am sure it will make no sense, but we'll see. I decided to use 14 lines like a sonnet, though obviously my poem will lack the rhyme scheme necessary, unless there is a huge coincidence.

Here goes . . .


iPod Magnetic Poetry

There are things to talk about
On California One, on California One.
An old man said to me, "Won't see another one."
Who remembers your face?

Never said it was sunshine but you took it all of the time.
Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic.
When in Rome they're digging to extend the lines,
A troubled mind can find no rest.

I thought it was cute.
I know you must try
All that we need tonight.
Baby, baby, baby, light my way.

Something as good --
You will come home.


Key:
1 - "Dollars and Cents" - Radiohead
2 - "California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade - The Decemberists
3 - "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues
4 - "A Whisper" - Coldplay
5 - "The State We're In" - The Chemical Brothers
6 - "Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison
7 - "Prego Amore" - Erlend Oye
8 - "Peggy Gordon" - Sinead O'Connor
9 - "At Least That's What You Said" - Wilco
10 - "Bloodrush" - Trash Can Sinatras
11 - "Slipping Away" - Moby
12 - "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)" - U2
13 - "Ambition" - Doves
14 - "Spine" - Page France



Not so bad, I guess.

7 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger Serenity Now! posited...

John, my love, you have too much time on your hands. Love the ingenuity!

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

I think it turned out quite well. Now I'll probably try it, just because I love hitting the shuffle button on my MP3 player, and end up with something ridiculous and nonsensical.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

it reminds me of that time that mattson, dr. proctor, myself... and was it micah??? We made a poem, line by line, only knowing the last word that the previous person had written down. It was incredible. I pretty sure bryce has a copy.

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger hannah posited...

i'm taking this to xanga, where it's gonna spread like wild fire.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger J0hn posited...

deep.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

yeah

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger matt posited...

it was vinnie, mattson, and davey that made the wonderful poem

 

Post a Comment

<< Home