Thursday, August 06, 2009

It's just a question of time

I have a pretty busy weekend planned. Friday is the first day of (my first) Lollapalooza, and for me it is also the biggest day. I plan to head down in the early afternoon and start the day off. My friend Bob is coming down from Minnesota, and we will hang out in Grant Park watching fun music. The day will culminate, of course, in the Depeche Mode concert, which I have been looking forward to since March since 1986.

The other highlight of tomorrow's festivities will be The Decemberists, whom I have obviously seen many times, but I am excited to see them perform their rock opera.

Saturday's highlights include Animal Collective and TV on the Radio. Then I have a little scheduling conflict on Sunday, but it was really not a hard decision at all. While some of the Lolla acts scheduled for Sunday would be awesome to see, especially The Killers, I will be elsewhere. You see, one of my favorite bands ever, the Trashcan Sinatras, are playing a concert in Chicago on Sunday night, completely separate from Lollapalooza. They are playing at a cool (and tiny) venue called Schuba's, and they hardly ever tour in the United States. Having been a passionate fan for 20 years and having never seen them before, I obviously need to go to this show rather than the Sunday night Lolla fun. I am extremely excited to see Trashcan Sinatras, and it will be an excellent cap to what should be an excellent weekend.

And then on Monday I head up north for my end-of-summer vacation to Minnesota.

Anyway, if you are at all interested in my Lolla experience, I plan to post throughout the day tomorrow from the festival.

4 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger sherlock posited...

I just saw The Decemberists in Madison. They played The Hazards of Love seemlessly, from start to finish – despite frequent instrument change-ups. It was my first time seeing them, but I was very impressed.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger sherlock posited...

oh and enjoy Lollapalooza. God knows it's a great lineup

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

TV on the Radio and Animal Collective both put on great live shows! That will definitely be a day to remember at the festival for you!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Kath posited...

Trashcan Sinatras at Schuba's??!??!??!!??!?!? I'm so jealous....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home