Thursday, July 09, 2009

I got my head checked by a jumbo jet

Last week I decided to go in to the eye doctor for a check-up. I had been noticing lately that my vision had gotten slightly more blurry, and I thought maybe it was time for a new prescription for my glasses. So I had an eye exam, which for me is among the most nerve-wracking affairs in all of medicine. I am always afraid I'm going to mess up when the doctor is having me pick which image is clearer. So when she says things like "A [flip] or B ?" I get flustered. And sometimes they look the same through both lenses. And sometimes neither one is clear, so instead of picking which is better I'm picking which is less bad. And then she says, "Read the smallest line you can" and I don't know if she means the smallest line I can read at all or the smallest line that is not blurry.

So anyway, it turns out my prescription has changed so I needed to order new glasses, and this Monday I went in and pick them up.I understand there is a little time required to get used to new glasses, but I have now decided that this prescription makes things WAY worse than before. Especially my right eye, which is super blurry, when usually my left eye is much weaker. I don't know if the doctor messed up, the lab messed up, or I messed up, but everything is very blurry now. Obviously I need to go back in, but I'm afraid they will tell me that I am a failure at taking the eye test and that I'll have to pay for a brand new exam and glasses.

Other doctor visits never make me nervous and anxious, but the eye doctor . . . Ugh. Now I wont be able to sleep tonight.

2 Comments:

At 12:35 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

You and me both Dub. I've never minded the dentist, but the eye-doctor has been ever-present for basically all of my memorable life and it's unsettling. Apparently (possibly aprocryphal) I once went up to the lines when I was like 5 or 6 and memorized the bottom one in an attempt to fake better vision.

"One? Or two?"

"Ummmm, can I see one again?"

"Sure. One? Or two?"

"Uh, probably two...they're pretty close."


I do rock at the flashing lights on the peripheral vision though.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Angela posited...

That happened ALL the time when I worked for the eye doctor in Peoria, and he never recharged people. You should be ok ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home