Monday, November 03, 2008

My Endorsement


Why I Am Voting for Barack Obama

Issues
First and foremost, I vote for a candidate based on the positions he or she takes on the issues that matter most to me.  Barack Obama's positions on most issues align with my own philosophies, morals, and beliefs: on individual freedom and civil rights; the environment; education; economics and poverty; social justice; the War in Iraq and the War on Terror.  Many of these issues represent my core beliefs about the way humanity should proceed, and Obama shares many of my ideas.  

Temperament/Judgment
Obama has shown that he has the intellect and deliberative thoughtfulness to make an excellent president.  He has frequently cited Abraham Lincoln's desire to surround himself with intelligent dissenters as a model for his decision-making process.  After 8 years of cronyism and yes-men, this will be a refreshing change.

Hope
People on the opposite side of the political spectrum like to slam Obama's message of hope as nothing more than pie-in-the-sky dreaming and nonsense.  Those of us who believe in Obama's message are accused of having "drunk the Kool-Aid" and are mocked for being swayed by empty rhetoric.  I will acknowledge that many people waving their "Change" signs may simply be in la-la-land with no real grasp of the issues.  But not everyone.  And just because some people are simple-minded in their support of Obama does not negate the message. 

I am an intelligent, politically savvy citizen.  I am a well-read student of history and of modern society.  I am in many ways very cynical, and I am not fooled by smoke and mirrors.  And I genuinely believe that Obama's message of hope is real.  He offers hope to millions of Americans who have until now been completely left out of the political process and denied a voice.  To those of us who believe that the country we love has been heading off a cliff for a long time, he offers hope that all is not lost.  

Most importantly, for me the hope that Obama represents is the promise of America.  And please know that I absolutely understand how trite and cliché this sounds.  But what I mean is that for too long, the reality of the United States has been too far away from the ideal of the United States, and I believe that Obama will work to bring us closer to that ideal.

I also know that a few of my loyal blog readers are shaking their heads right now.  But I would venture a guess that in the short political lives of these readers, there has never been an inspiring candidate on their side.  Every presidential candidate in recent memory on the Republican side has been a lesser-of-two-evils type choice for many conservatives.  So just because you have never been inspired by any candidate does not mean that such inspiration is impossible.

Barack Obama has inspired me to once again be proud of my country, and I have never been so excited to cast a vote in my life.

13 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

come on, Bob Dole would have been transformative.

This is a swell endorsement.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

Very well said. I especially love your first paragraph.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

"Hope is tomorrow's veneer over today's disappointment."

I am actually, truly nervous about tomorrow. The media have succeeded in actually scaring me that he will actually be elected, something that is embarrassing to admit.

I wouldn't be scared if it weren't for the fact that I plan to be successful in the next eight years of my life. Oh well, I'll just have to try to make the best of it, and just HOPE he doesn't get TOO audacious.

Or John McCain will be elected (come on junior, fetch mama her pryin' stick so she kin git up and vote) and all will be well.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger PBear posited...

Bob Dole would have been great. I had to look up some sweet Bob Dole quotes after I read that first comment:

“Life has taught me to put my faith in the uncounted millions who may never run for office, pass a bill, or craft a sound bite, but who fight our wars and embody the ideals worth fighting for. My contemporaries have been called the greatest generation. It's not a title we bestowed on ourselves, any more than we asked for the hand that history dealt us in our youth. Now I belong to a disappearing generation, perhaps five million in all, forever bonded by the tests we faced so long ago.”

"At least she's the president of something, which is more than I can say."

"If you're hanging around with nothing to do and the zoo is closed, come over to the Senate. You'll get the same kind of feeling and you won't have to pay.”

"We'll all be riding that streetcar of desire.”


Maybe we will, Bob.


But seriously, you can't be referring to me as one of those readers because I found my inspiration a couple of years ago. I'm still tempted to write you in, Ron Paul.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Let's tally. I'll count '92 b/c I can remember voting in kindergarten in the 'voting booth.'

'92: 41

I was too young to be inspired.

'96: Bobby D.

An honorable man, but not inspiring. I liked the Jack Kemp pick though, from a football perspective.

'00: George the Younger

At the time, he easily took the cake for inspirational. For a few reasons, but mostly b/c he represented a break from the Clinton/Gore team that had been in office for eight years.

'04: George the Younger

He was less inspirational here, but still extremely inspirational compared to Kerry.

'08: Johnny Maverick.

Essentially Bob Dole, but not to as great a degree.

---

Okay it's true. But like you Dub, I vote on the issues first and foremost, so I'm prepared to be bored to tears for the next umpteen election cycles and I'll stay the course.

And Tom? I think it'll be close, but you're right to be nervous tomorrow. McCain needs hit a 2-outer on the river to take the POTUS pot from Obama. There's a shot, but it's long.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Tom posited...

I just don't really buy into it. There are significant demographics not being taken into account in the pretty blue and red maps we're being shown. I'm nervous, but I believe its quite a bit closer than most think.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

So do I. But a 2% loss instead of a 9% loss is still a loss.

Like I said, both here and my blog, who knows because weird things happen.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

� +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++#######+++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++############+++++++++++++++
++++++++++###############+++++++++++++
+++++++++#####++++++++###++++++++++++
++++++++###++++++++++++###+++++++++++
++++++++##++++++++++++++###++++++++++
+++++++##+++++++++++++++####+++++++++
+++++++#+++++++++++++++++###+++++++++
++++++##+++++++++++++++++####++++++++
++++++#+++++++++++++++##++@##++++++++
+++++##++++++++++++############+++++++�
+++++##++++++++#+++##+####+####+++++++
+++++##++++#####+++#++#####+####++++++�
+++++##+++##+###+++#+++****++####+++++�
+++++##+++++#++#+++#+++++++++##++++++
+++++##++++@++++++++#+++++++##+#+++++
+++++#+++++++++++++++#++++++##+#+++++
++++++#+++++++++++++#++++++####++++++
++++++##+++++++++++####++++####++++++
++++++++++++++++@#+###++++++####+++++
+++++##+#+++++++++++++++++++##+#+++++
+++++#++++++++++++++##++++++####+++++
+++++#+@++++++++++######++++##+++++++
+++++#+#+#+++++++##+++#+++++##+++++++
++++++#++#++++++##+++###++++##+++++++
+++++++#++++++++++++++++++#####++++++
+++++++++#+++++++++++#++++#####++++++
+++++++++++#+++++++++++++############+
++++++++++++#+++++++++++#############+
+++++++++++++#++++++++###############+
++++++++++++++##++++########+########+
+++++++++++++#++###########++########+
+++++++++++###+++#########++#########+
++++++++#######++++######+++#########+
++++++#########+++++++##++++#########+
+++++##########+++++###++++##########+
+++############+++++#++++++##########+
++##############++++#++++++##########+
++##############++++++++++###########+
+###############++++++++++###########+
+############### ++++ +++++###########+
+###############++++++#++############+
+################+++++#++############+

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

I wish I could do that.

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

In another 40 years you will be able to. And you will also have a better grasp on what the word "inspiration" means.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

I hope it doesn't take me 40 years to learn to pattern character on a screen. Which is what I was referring to.

And as far as knowing what inspiration means, spare me, anonymous. I can be inspired. Just not by someone whom I disagree with on most every issue. Is Obama charismatic? Sure. Intelligent? Sure. But that doesn't make his policies ones I support.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger PBear posited...

I'll run for state representative in a few decades, Parker, and I'll inspire you.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Pelkey's number one priority: funding for colitis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home