Sunday, October 26, 2008

They're filming midgets!

I think I have turned a corner on the longest illness I've ever had.  I have been officially sick with some kind of nasty respiratory infection now for seven days, and quite frankly, I'm tired of it.  Though I will say that my illness has not been too multi-symptomatic; instead, I have just had a very bad cough, one that started out the week trying to be "productive" and that has now reached that status.  So i have not really been stuffed up, nor have I had a runny nose, fever, etc.  Just a nasty cough that rattles my body and skull.

And except for my surgery-related absences, I have never missed so much work.  I missed an entire week of school, not counting the two classes I taught on Wednesday, thinking I was on the mend.  As I have said, I really hate being gone from school so much, and I do not think it is fair to my students.  But I was also in no shape to work.

Anyway, as of yesterday, I am doing better.  My coughing is much less frequent, and I think--I think--that the productive nature of my cough is a good sign.  My doctor upped my antibiotics, so maybe this think will be tackled.

But I need to go back to work!

So as you might imagine, I am getting a bit stir crazy, having basically been on the couch or recliner for a week.  I have certainly overloaded on political commentary on the television.


But I also saw a fantastic film, In Bruges, which I had wanted to see in the theaters.  I remember that this film got good reviews, and I also remember the previews making it look like some sort of comedy.  It is not.  Yes, ths film has some incredibly funny moments, but as a whole, In Bruges is a pretty dark drama about death, forgiveness, and redemption.  


It is at times funny, at times heartbreaking, at times violent, but it is always gripping.  Leads Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are both outstanding as a couple of Irish hitmen hiding out in Bruges, Belgium.  Their relationship is complicated and poignant, and both actors do a superb job.  Ralph Fiennes plays a ridiculous crime boss, and his character adds much to the humor of the film.

In Bruges was written and directed by Martin McDonagh, and this is his first feature film.  The script he has crafted has twists and turns, but mostly it has a heart and a power I did not expect.


This was not the film I expected to see; instead it was much, much better.

Sidenote: When I was traveling around Europe, Bruges was hands down one of my favorite stops.  It is a city of extraordinary beauty and history, and I got a kick out of seeing it on film.

3 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

If it makes you feel better, I had a piece of rice stuck in my sinuses for two hours today.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger sherlock posited...

I saw the movie in theaters, and likewise expected it to be far more a comedy than it proved. I liked it.

I didn't recognize that Gleeson had also played Mad-Eye Moody until he said, "You don't have to do this, Harry." It resulted in the most ill-timed exclamation I've ever made in a theater.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I loved Gleeson in Gangs of New York as wel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home