Sunday, October 28, 2007

You're a fickle little twister

1.
So I went to the doctor on Thursday. (By the way, it is nice to have insurance again . . .) First of all, my new doctor is very nice and very helpful. I picked him at random because when I had to name my doctor on my insurance enrollment forms. It is good to know I did not pick a dud. Anyway, he told me that I made the right decision to not wait as long to see the doctor as I did last time I had this disc/disk problem. He is going to start me on a "level one" treatment, which basically means anti-inflammatory drugs. He hopes this will work, but if it doesn't, then we can move on to next steps, like maybe epidurals and such. I will keep you posted.

2.
I saw Gone Baby Gone, which is Ben Affleck's directorial debut. I really liked it a lot. It is a dark and disturbing film, well acted by Casey Affleck, Morgan Freeman, and Ed Harris. Though the film has some flaws, I think it marks an excellent debut film for Ben, and maybe he can find some more success in this realm than he has had in his acting choices of late. One thing I really liked about the film is the moral ambiguity of the story--we are never quite sure who we should be rooting for through the various twists and turns.


3.
The Decemberists kick off their latest mini-tour tonight, "The Long and the Short of It Tour." In each town, they play two nights: one night full of their long, epic-minded songs; the other night full of their short, pop-minded songs. I am only going to the "Long of It," mostly because I cannot really go to two concerts in a row when I have to work. I was not planning on going until recently; yes, they are one of my favorites, but I have also seen them four times in the past two years, including a few months ago. But then I rethought it. I'll have a full report tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger undulatingorb posited...

Hey, I just watched Gone Baby Gone last night. I think it was a good film, but it was also frustrating. I don't agree that it was morally ambiguous. To me, Casey Affleck's character had integrity and did the right thing, and every other character in the film (except for Amy Madigan's Bea) was either a flat-out terrible person or else was self-righteous and misguided at best (and selfish hypocrites if not given the benefit of the doubt). So, I enjoyed the film, except for all of the "you're a fucking cunt" yelling I did at the characters. Great acting by everyone involved, though I wish a lot of the dialogue had been better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home