Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Suicide blonde

I had my other class last night, Literature and Film, which of course is what I am studying. I know I will like this course, and the excellent professor is also my adviser. Here is a brief course description:
The course will examine a variety of literary and cinematic works within the intertextual contexts of aesthetics, history, economics, and ideology. And it will study the cinematic rereading of fictional narratives through a variety of critical contexts: the nature of narrative discourse, the economics of production, the politics of elite and popular culture, the social and psychological positions of reading and viewing subjects.


So the course pairs literature with films, and then we read a lot of critical theory and such to go along with the texts. Here are the pairings for this course:

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler / paired with The Big Lebowski

Cosmopolis by Don DeLillo / paired with Vanilla Sky

Neuromancer by William Gibson / paired with The Matrix

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos / paired with Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Hamlet by William Shakespeare / paired with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead


I already own three of these movies, so that is nice. (Many of you know my feelings about The Matrix, a feeling which puts me at odds with 97% of the population. We'll see what happens.)



Elsewhere . . .

Here is some Barbie art I found online:


It's morbid and disturbing, but a tad humorous. I like it.

8 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Carson posited...

I just read The Big Sleep before going to see Brick at the movie theater in April. The noir language is so much fun to read. Lebowski + Chandler = Great class.

And Vanilla Sky... love the ideas it explores but really have a tough time conquering my dislike for Tom Cruise.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

This post had a strong finish.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

That Bond book by your professor looks pretty sweet.

Allow me to guess which three of the movies you own: The Big Lebowski and...two copies of Vanilla Sky. In case one gets dirty.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

No, Max, only one copy of Vanilla Sky. I do love that movie though. Carson, it is one of those movies that gets better with multiple viewings, I think.

Anyway, Max, the other one I own is R&G are Dead, which is brilliant.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Carson posited...

Dub-
I actually own the movie and have seen it multiple times. I totally agree that it takes more than one viewing for its themes to sink in.

But when I first bought the movie... I didn't realize to the full extent what a dick Tom Cruise is. Everytime I see him, all I see is Matt Lauer and Oprah's couch. Huge annoying egotistical dick.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, in real life. But I can think of very few movies of his that I do not like.
Love the art, not the artist. (That's what allows me to like Ezra Pound and Michael Jackson.)

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Josh posited...

man neuromancer sucks

also, i tried to read underworld but gave up after 300 pages cause it was boring

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

"Michael Jackson - musically, he sucks. Personally... he's pretty neat."

-John Valesano

 

Post a Comment

<< Home