Friday, August 18, 2006

The old homestead

In my recent post about my lack of hometown, I neglected to mention that I was born in Joliet, Illinois. I mention it now because I just returned from a brief jaunt to Joliet this morning. Because of some paperwork nonsense, I needed a copy of my birth certificate. I thought I had one, but I could not find it. I could have ordered it online, but I needed it more immediately. So I decided to drive down to Joliet since it is only about 60 miles away.

I have absolutely no memory of living in Joliet, however, because we moved away before I was one year old. But I thought it would be fun to go take a look at my very first house, so I got the address from my dad and took a little detour on my way to the Will County Clerk's Office.

Again, I have no memory of living here, but here is my very first house, where I lived for the very important first few months of my life:







I was not sure whether or not I would feel any sort of emotional connection to stopping by this house. Well, I didn't. I just thought, "I once lived here. Huh.*" *See discussion about this word in the comments section.

3 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Did you really think "How about that."?

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

No, I did not, and I have readjusted my post to what I had originally typed. I really thought, "Huh." But I did not think I could translate this into typing. I knew that the "how about that" would cause a problem, but I did not know how to spell the "huh" that I meant. I was afraid people would think my "huh" meant "what on earth?" or "you know what I mean?" rather than the "wel,, there you go" that my "huh" intended.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Serenity Now! posited...

I thought the "Huh" translated perfectly just as you intended it. I never new you were born in Joliet. Guess you never can really know everything about a person:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home