Sunday, August 20, 2006

"Believe me, I exhausted all other options."

Part One
My summer is essentially over. Tomorrow I start my week of T.A. training and orientation. Overall it was a pretty good summer. When I made the decision to stay in DeKalb instead of going back to Brainerd, I was a bit nervous and sad. But most of my good friends that I have made here stayed for the summer too, and we managed to have some fun times. I also love my job at Sylvan, and I worked there pretty much every weekday. I really like connecting with the kids there, and I am sure that I will have some detailed posts about my job in the near future. I will still be working there a few hours per week, which will be nice.

So though DeKalb may not have the fun water-related activities of Minnesota, I know I made the right choice staying here.

So now on with one more year of my master's program. I am looking forward to my classes (more on them later, too) and to teaching freshman composition.


Part Two

One note to those of you who are going off to various schools in these next few days & weeks: please keep in touch. Even though a large portion of my blog readership is scattering a bit, I hope you will all continue to check in.


Part Three

Yes, I saw Snakes on a Plane. And while it is most definitely not the greatest movie ever, as some have claimed, it certainly is a lot of fun, and I enjoyed myself thoroughly. The plot is preposterous and the dialogue is hilariously bad, but all of this adds to the pleasure, and it would be impossible not to be completely entertained.

A few highlights:
  • The microwave sequence
  • The unfortunate urinating man scenario
  • The dog vs. the anaconda
  • The man vs. the anaconda

"It's teal."

And the most uncalled-for, gratuitously grotesque, disgustingly awful part of the movie: the high-heel shoe incident.

8 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

snakes on a plane was so funny

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

I just remebered the part where your post's title came from. Oh man.

He SAW me!

So was SOAP a total box office failure or what?

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Unknown posited...

It opened number one

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

But with weak numbers, and only 12 cents behind three-week old Talledega Nights. By every measure, it was a hugely disappointing opening for them.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger swalker posited...

It was sweet, but I have a really hard time enjoying films with such blatant inconsistencies and improbabilities.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger swalker posited...

Also, they got the ending wrong:

SPOILER ALERT


the kid should have not been wearing the vest, but SamuelL shoots at the snake on his chest anyway. As the kid lays dying, SamuelL passionately exclaims, "I'm sorry I killed you kid, but I just hate those FUCKING SNAKES so GOD DAMNED MUCH!"

Then of course there would be the pre-requisite funeral scene with snake jumping out of casket.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger matt posited...

oh jesus christ i forgot about that high heeled scene.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home