Monday, August 14, 2006

"I've got a cougar on me."

I saw two movies this weekend.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
I have previously mentioned my hatred of unfunny, juvenile humor such as that purveyed by Adam Sandler (Chris Farley, etc.). But that does not mean that I do not like stupid comedies; they just have to be funny. Adam Sandler's humor has no wit or cleverness behind it. Will Ferrell, on the otherhand, is smart, clever, and very funny -- even if the delivery is stupidly done.

When I first heard of this movie, I rolled my eyes. But then I saw the preview, and I said, "I am embarrassed that I am laughing so hard." After all, I'm the "AFI Top 100 Films" guy. I study film!

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby is very stupid, but the stupidity hides a very witty, satirical, intelligent humor. It also contains a lot of the absurdity that I liked about Anchorman. Will Ferrell is excellent, as is John C. Reilly.


I am not going to write a long review. I will just say this: I laughed very hard and very often. In fact, I very rarely stopped laughing. So just call me very pleasantly surprised. Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time, and I will be buying it when it comes out on DVD.


Little Miss Sunshine
I have been excited about Little Miss Sunshine ever since I first read that it was being made. I went to it with great trepidation -- it has gotten stellar reviews, and how could anything go wrong with that cast? So I did want to be disappointed. Don't you hate it when you have built a movie up so much in your mind that it is a giant let down?


Well, Little Miss Sunshine is far from a let down. It exceeded my expectations many times over. It is hilarious, heartfelt, poignant, heartbreaking, and hilarious again. The acting is superb (Steve Carell will get a best supporting actor nomination), and the script is a miracle. This is a beautilful film. See it as soon as you can -- I had to drive 30 miles. It is the best film of the year so far.

8 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger sherlock posited...

I liked Talladega Nights, but was less enthused with the audience. Being centered around NASCAR and of a decidedly "hickish" nature, it of course attracted the Larry the Cable Guy audience to the showing I attended, and very much lessened my appreciation for Will Ferrell. It was good, but still not as funny as Anchorman. I have really wanted to see Little Miss Sunshine but UNFORTUNATELY Brainerd is not playing it, and I don't have time to go to St. Cloud or somewhere. frig.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger sherlock posited...

NO! not my sizzlin' shank!

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I know what you are saying about the crowd, Cameron. But I also think that the hick element of the audience probably missed the satirical aspects. It reminds me a little bit of Beavis & Butthead -- many of the kids who loved that show had no idea that they themselves were being mocked.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger sherlock posited...

Oh, they definitely missed it. Pelkey and I found ourselves to be the only ones laughing at more than one point.
Beavis & Butthead... I own the Mike Judge Collection, Vol. 1. Today when I saw the license plate FUP 505, all I could think of was f*** up. haha. how very penetrating with the utmost simplicity

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Carson posited...

Glad to hear you liked Little Miss Sunshine. I had such a good time at that film. I plan on seeing it at least one more time in the theater, since it has been about a month since I saw it the first time.

It had been such a long time since I felt so emotionally invested in all the characters in a story. And I totally agree Carell will be nominated. But I really feel strongly that Breslin should get a nomination as well. Even though Carell stole most of the scenes, Breslin was the heart and soul of that movie.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Dub, how can you be so foolish?

You declare LMS as the best film of the year, but you review a better film in the SAME POST.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Because I'm a fool, obviously.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

RB: You can't have two number ones!

CN*: No, that makes eleven...

(John C. Reiley's character was named Cal Naughton, right? Jr., maybe?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home