Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Cute tales of tornadoes

A couple of days ago, tornadoes caused major damage to Kansas University and other parts of Lawrence, Kansas. So my mom and I reminisced about this story:

When I was in fourth grade, my family moved to Lawrence, Kansas. My dad had a one year position as the "professional-in-residence" at the KU School of Journalism.
One spring evening, my parents were at some kind of university function, and my brother had some event at our elementary school, which was only a couple of blocks away. So I was home alone, but my brother was supposed to be home soon.

I was watching t.v., and a tornado warning came on. I looked outside, and the sky was the green that it turns before a tornado. I got pretty scared, being 9 years old. I had grown up in Washington, so I had no experience with tornadoes. Then the tornado sirens went off. I no longer wanted to be alone at home, but as it turns out, my brother could not come home because everyone at the school was moved to the center of the building. And my parents, at their university dinner, were moved to the basement of that building and not allowed to use the phone.


I decided that I did not want to be alone and that I would go down the street to a neighbor's house. I called them, and they told me to hurry up.

Now this story is getting scary, I realize, but now it will take a turn for the precious. This might be the cutest thing you've ever heard . . .

My most prized possession was my stuffed animal collection. My cousin and I both collected them. They all had names, family trees, jobs, etc. Anyway, I knew that if you are home during a tornado, you are supposed to go the southwest corner of your basement. They say that is the safest place to be if you don't have a shelter. So before I left with my dog Chewy to go to the neighbors, I gathered up all of my stuffed animals in a couple laundry baskets and put them in the southwest corner of our basement.

It turned out that the tornadoes hit Topeka instead of Lawrence, but my animals would have been safe.

8 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

when i was little, i always had a strong liking for my little ponies, but my mother would never ever buy me any. one night, i had this terrible dream about our house burning down (pretty much my worst fear) and in the dream, the one thing i ran back to get were my "my little ponies."

cute, or sad?

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

A little of both.

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

This was hugely cute, as a rememberance, but was one of the most terrifying parent moments!

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger hannah posited...

i also had an attachment to my stuffed animals. lucky for me, i only had 7 that i was strongly attached to, so i assigned each one a night they got to sleep with me and then the rest slept at the end of my bed. i was always concerned that fluffy (my old pal) would get jealous of the others, so i assigned her friday because that was my favorite day and then she would know that even though i loved all my stuff animals very much, fluffy was still my favorite.

and one time i was sitting on my couch watching the animated version of the nutcracker and eating a stick of butter (an old favorite snack) and then my mom shut off the tv and told me to go to the basement because there was a tornado 3 blocks away. it was scary and still whenever i have nightmares, they usually include either being chased by a rapist/murderer or being outside and watching a tornado form in front of me. it gives me the heebly jeeblys just thinking of it.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Cute story.
Well, maybe not the rapist part.

My dog used to hop up on the table and eat sticks of butter.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

You ate sticks of butter as a childhood snack? That explains a lot.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

yeah. uhhh, like what, her morbid obesity?....

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Her supple & shimmering lips?

Her flaky crust?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home