Sunday, November 13, 2005

Peanut butter and centipedes

For some reason, today I was thinking about phobias. A phobia is defined as an irrational fear, causing severe anxiety or panic. I don't think I have any phobias. There are some things that I don't like, but I would not say my fear of them reaches irrational levels.

According to atHealth.com, these are the most common phobias:
  • Achluophobia - fear of being in darkness
  • Acrophobia - fear of heights
  • Agoraphobia - fear of open spaces or fear of leaving home
  • Claustrophobia - fear of being in closed spaces
  • Demophobia - fear of being in crowded places
  • Mysophobia - fear of germs or dirt
  • Social phobia - fear of being around unfamiliar people in social situations
  • Xenophobia - fear of strangers
I have absolutely no fear of any of these things. I don't really like crowds very much, and I guess I am sort of scared of mobs or mob mentality (enochlophobia), but I don't feel consumed by it.

Other common fears, according to some other site include:

Emetophobia
Fear of vomit.

Carcinophobia
Fear of cancer.

Brontophobia
Fear of thunderstorms.

Necrophobia
Fear of death or or dead things

I love thuderstorms. Why would you be scared of thunderstorms, unless your house was once destroyed or you are a lhasa apso?

Here are some of my favorite phobias, which are all actual medical terms (from phobialist.com):

I can understand some phobias, like heights or spiders, but I just don't fear them. The closest thing I have to a phobia, I think, is my fear of these:

(the house centipede)

And about once a week I see one of these crawling up my wall in my new apartment*. I hate them so much. They make my hair stand on end, and if I wanted to, I think I could use the house centipede to prove that God does not exist, or at least that he hates us.

But it is not a phobia.

* and my apartment is not a sty or a dump either. It is a nice, newer building, but somehow, these disgusting abominations of nature find their way in . . .

19 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

Those are quite disgusting. But silver fish are equally grotesque.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yes, silver fish are repulsive.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger hannah posited...

when i was 10 or 11 my friend michele and i were sitting in my bedroom and we saw one of those THINGS crawling on my carpet and it was easily the most terrifying moment of my adolescence. are they even supposed to live in minnesota? gross. i've never seen one since and i hope i never will ever. i spent that night in my bed thinking about it crawling up my leg and gross. ew ew ew ew ew ew gross.

on a side note, i have a friend who has a phobia of watching people fall. it completely freezes him up.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

I used to be really afraid of puppets. Chucky Cheese was my worst nightmare. Literally.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Rocco posited...

I have a fake centipede in my office. You know, for the kids. So I often ACT like I'm scared of the centipede. So I have a fake fear of fake centidpedes. What is that, a pseudocentipseudophobia?

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Those are disgusting, but I think it´s worse to wake up in the morning and find a HUGE spider staring at you(me). Or taking clean clothes from my dresser and finding a spider crawling in them.

I know this is africa, but still.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

um.. i hate spiders. I pretty much have jake make them go away. Especially the smaller ones. They just pretend to be innocent. But those are the ones that go up your nose in the night and eat your brain. Btw: it's totally true.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

centipedes, millipedes, and cockroaches. sweet jesus, they make my knees weak and my head starts to spin. i hate it.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

there are cenipedes that grow eight inches long and eat MICE and other vertabrates. those freaking carnivorous, blood thirsy centipede bastards are easily the most terrifying things that roam the earth. buuuhhhh. that reminds me... you know what word i HATE? "scuttle". (when referring to the motion of a big bug or spider)..... buhhhhh. yuck.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

oh sick. im sorry, but this might just creep you the eff out:

"Unlike most other centipedes, house centipedes and their close relatives have well-developed, faceted eyes."

so they can see the hair standing on the back of your neck. and they like it.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

ok, this just keeps getting worse, its like a freaking badly scripted horror movie...

"They capture prey by half pouncing and half lassoing them. They can capture several prey items at one time. They feed on one specimen while holding the others with their quivering, lashing appendages (Lewis 1981)."

i don't know who this lewis 1981 guy is, but i do know that he is one sick bag of shit who likes to freak people out. "quivering, lashing appendages" is that really necessary?

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

oh and one more thing

the REAL number one phobia among people with a TV, VCR or DVD player (well, not so much dvd player) or any combination of the above, would be chaznorrisfootaphobia (the fear of a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the face), but that fear is perfectly rational, making it not eligable for the list of actual phobias....

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Thank you for your research on the house centipede, Tom. When I posted, my fear had not reached phobic levels, but now, thanks to you, it has.
Good work!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger jobble posited...

My biggest fear is now the American Blood Donataion Association I decided.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger matt posited...

anything with +4 legs should be condemned to hell.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Good thing cats weren't included.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger CM posited...

i have a giant cat.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger matt posited...

keep it away from chris oseland

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Ugh. I am not a spider fan. not not not. I can kill little ones. But dear god I'm never going to a rainforest ever ever ever ever ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home