Friday, October 07, 2005

"Burning clues into this heart of mine"

I have been inspired by other blogging comrades, and I decided to create my own "break-up" song list, though I am not a member of any Mix Tape Club. (There is no bitterness or hidden motive in that statement. Do not invite me.)

Some people have gone the angry route, but I am more apt to go the heartbroken route.

  • "The Last Goodbye" - Jeff Buckley
  • "I've Got Dreams" - Otis Redding
  • "The Last Day of Our Acquaintance" - Sinead O'Connor
  • "It's a Motherfucker" - Eels
  • "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" - David Gray
  • "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Joy Division
  • "The End" - The Beatles
  • "Pictures of You" - The Cure
  • "Half a World Away" - R.E.M.
  • "I Know It's Over" - The Smiths
  • "Weight of My Words" - Kings of Convenience
  • "Somebody" - Depeche Mode
  • "Every Little Counts" - New Order
  • "Laid" - James
  • "Come Talk to Me" - Peter Gabriel
  • "I Don't Mind if You Forget Me" - Morrissey
  • "Burning Photographs" - Ryan Adams
  • "Wilder" - The Boo Radleys
  • "A Lover Sings" - Billy Bragg
  • "Cello Song" - Nick Drake
  • "Lover's Spit" - Broken Social Scene
  • "Selective Memory" - Eels
  • "The First Five Times" - Stars
  • "Lost Cause" - Beck
  • "The Spiderbite Song" - Flaming Lips
  • "Divorce Song" - Liz Phair
  • "You Cause as Much Sorrow" - Sinead O'Connor
  • "Face Up" - New Order
  • "You Don't Love Me" - Matthew Sweet
  • "Got Carried Away" - Trash Can Sinatras
  • "The Drugs Don't Work" - The Verve
  • "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" - Morrissey
  • "Looking at You" - Sunscreem
  • "Where Do I Start, Where Do I Begin?" - The Chemical Brothers

A rather convoluted list, I'll admit. The first four songs on my list are truly heartbreaking. Truly.

9 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

'it's a motherfucker' is just... it's indescribable. my heart gets heavy when i hear that song and i feel like i want to cry for everything beautiful and sad in the world.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger CM posited...

"Pictures of You"

dammit i wish i had put that on mine.


you know what this means...

i'm going to have to make a b-sides now.

yes, a mixtape b-sides. its so daring..

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

OBVIOUSLY THAT MANY SONGS IS NOT GOING TO FIT ON A MIXTAPE

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Josh, it's a box set.

Jake, that was going to be the title of my post, but I didn't want to cry every time I looked at it.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger jimaal posited...

ffrriicckkK. you forgot 2 very important ultimate break up songs. i swear you did.

smoking popes- pretty pathetic
ben folds five-song for the dumped

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Well I didn't forget "Pretty Pathetic." I just don't know it! I did forget "Song for the Dumped," though it doesn't fit in my "no-anger" breakup scenario!
Give me back my black t-shirt.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

Holbrook or maybe John put "Song For The Dumped" on theirs.

Well, it was somebody.

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger J0hn posited...

I did. Go Ben Folds

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

WTfrigg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home