Friday, July 04, 2008

Jesus used inches and feet

Oh, Jesse Helms.


Some great moments from Jesse Helms:

"There is not one single case of AIDS in this country that cannot be traced in origin to sodomy."

"I've never heard once in this chamber anybody say to the homosexuals, 'stop what you're doing.' If they would stop what they're doing there would not be one additional case of AIDS in the United States."

"I've been portrayed as a caveman by some. That's not true. I'm a conservative progressive, and that means I think all men are equal, be they slants, beaners or niggers."

"The Negro cannot count forever on the kind of restraint that's thus far left him free to clog the streets, disrupt traffic, and interfere with other men's rights."

"If God had wanted us to use the metric system, Jesus would have had 10 apostles."

I would never say that I am glad that someone died . . . that would be wrong and disgusting and immoral.  

But I might say that this country was made worse by Jesse Helms, and now that he is no longer fouling up the world with his foulness, the country seems a little bit better.  (Is it wrong that since I saw the news this morning, I have had The Pogues song "Lullaby of London" in my head?  Why this song, you might ask.  Well, because it has a line that says "May they all sleep tight down in Hell tonight, or wherever they may be."

But in honor of the holiday, I will defend his right to have spewed the hatred and bigotry that he did.  A great part of America is that people have that right, even people who spent a career trying to strip other people of their rights.

Happy Fourth of July!




7 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

I deleted my Robert Byrd zingers since they seemed fairly petty. They were good though.

Happy 4th Dub, and everyone!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

the 10 apostles one was pretty good you gotta admit

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

If only I could be sure he meant it as a joke. Like when I heard some guy on TV say once that if English was good enough for Jesus, then it is good enough to be the country's official language.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Tom posited...

jesus is the reason i own two pairs of thong sandals. jesus and reef girls.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Tom, when I start my band, I am going to call it Jesus and the Reef Girls. I hope you don't mind. I'l give you liner note credit.

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Tom posited...

you have yourself a deal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home