Monday, May 22, 2006

The checkered flag

I spent the weekend down in Indianapolis visiting my brother and his family. I always love seeing my three little nephews. And even though I grew up in Indiana, I never went to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So my brother suggested that we go watch the practices, the day after the qualifiers.

As most of you know, I have zero interest in auto racing. I have never understood why people would watch racing on television, and the passion that NASCAR fans (and Indy fans, too, I suppose) have is absolutely nutty to me. I never went to the Brainerd International Raceway when I lived there, and I never had any desire to go to any of the NHRA events.

But I do have a thing for historic places, whether it is Ford's Theater or the headwaters at Itasca. And so I very much enjoyed going the Brickyard and watching the practices.

Plus, the sound of cars going 220 m.p.h. rocks!

I will never be a race fan, but I am certainly glad I went.

We sat near the starting/finish line. Most of my pictures of cars did not turn out,
since it is hard to time it just right to capture something going so fast.







These, of course, are the nephews.


"Family values" and auto racing and Indiana . . . Just call this my Red State Post.

9 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

oh man cute little children.

cars, meh.

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

How cute are my grandsons? Beyond words!

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I forgot to mention, from left to right: Jack, Nick, Matty.

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

When I visited Daytona to tour a college I went to Daytona Motor Speedway, and it was really something. Still, I, like you Dub, am not a big auto racing fan. But those kind of places are neat.

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

And just to explain, for all of the millions (oh, it's true) of blog readers out there who might be confused, "Sushi Nana" (my mom) is so named in this post (normally commenting as "your mother") because when the oldest boy, Nick, was a baby, he differentiated his two grandmothers by the fact that my mom likes sushi. As a wee boy, Nick focused on this minor fact, so she became Sushi Nana.

And this just adds to the preciousness.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Parker, I'm glad you did not go to college in Daytona. I don't think you should be on MTV Spring Break.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

my little brother (2) calls his grandmother "Nana Munga" because he cant say "grandma Lundberg".

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

If truth be known, Nick could not pronounce Grandma, and since I had a Nana myself, introduced that word to him. He managed that quite well, thank you. So I became Nana, and his other grandmother become "Other Nana." Obviously not acceptable to all concerned. I became Sushi Nana (since I did introduce him at 13 months to the joys of California rolls) and Mary became Nana. And as a added note, the bartenders in our neighborhood bar greet me as "Sushi Nana" Life is good.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Serenity Now! posited...

John, your nephews are beautiful. I wish we could get all the kids together. BTW, my mom is Nana, too. She just never seemed like a Grandma. I miss your mom! Tell her I send my love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home