Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I got my heart, I got my soul

Prelude to the post
This is my 50th post. Here is what my blog has done in 50 posts:
  • provided me with a venting outlet
  • allowed me to share my musical and cinematic tastes
  • increased my readership from nine readers to twelve (Ok, I'm understating, but I want more!)
  • accidentally made Tom mad
I guess that's it. Here's to 50 more . . .
------------------------------------
Post

Here are things that currently make me happy:
  • Arrested Development -- Holy crap! This is the funniest show on t.v.
  • "Casimir Pulaski Day" by Sufjan Stevens -- Heartbreakingly, beautifully sad, and yet, it makes me happy.
  • Not needing to get a job now that I sold my house
  • "Only" by Nine Inch Nails -- This new song is unlike anything Trent Reznor has ever done. It has a quirkiness not common in NIN, and the beat is like a panther. Yes, a panther.
  • Being close to Chicago and West Lafayette
  • The Office -- Steve Carrell is a genius.
  • the falafel pita from Pita Pete's in Dekalb -- Delicious.
  • Reading people's blogs
  • "Do You Want To?" by Franz Ferdinand -- I love the instrumental break in the middle the most.
  • Boston Legal -- This show makes me laugh out loud every week. James Spader and William Shatner are brilliant as shallow, amoral weasels. What could be better?
  • the Tom DeLay indictments and Bill Frist investigation -- I know I should not revel in the sorrows of others, but DeLay is a dick and Frist is a loon, so I can.
  • Watching Ellen dance on her talk show
  • Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds
  • "Your Heart is an Empty Room" by Death Cab For Cutie -- The song's guitar strum makes me smile.
  • Desperate Housewives and Lost -- Two very fun shows that I hope mark the end of reality television
  • "Ain't Got No/I Got Life" by Nina Simone -- She is a jazz singer with a voice like smoked velvet. I started listening to her when someone made a remix of one of her songs. This original is particularly splendid, and in the first half, she lists all the things she doesn't have, and then in the second half, all the things she does have. Glorious.
  • the preview for Brokeback Mountain -- This movie looks utterly heartbreaking. (Why do these heartbeaking things keep making me happy?)

8 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Ok. I love Desperate Housewives. Anyone who doesn't like it hasn't really watched it yet. BEAUTIFUL!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

all is forgiven, now that im a celebrity.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

I can't really get into Sufjan

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger "Jackie" posited...

sufjan was left on his parents doorstep by his biological mother in a milk carton.

in other news, nina does a nice song with damien rice. "Be My." perhaps you've heard of it.

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I have not yet heard it, but I will be checking it out directly.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

one thing that makes me happy is Beck. his music, and the fact that he exists. yup.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

i like how all of the sudden, everyone loves Beck. i wonder if its because he was recently all over MTV. anyways, if i may be a music snob for a moment.... ive been listening to Beck since Mellow Gold.... k im done.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger "Jackie" posited...

let me know what you think of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home