Thursday, June 11, 2009

Best Balls

The school year has, for all intents and purposes, ended. I finished all of my grading, turned in the grades, and cleaned my desk. Of course I still have to go in tomorrow for a teacher work day, but I don't really have anything to do. I am very excited for the summer, especially not having to wake up so early, but as I have said, I really had a fantastic school year.

But the real news is that tomorrow after work is the annual faculty golf outing. Now, I must explain that I have a bit of a psychological block against golfing. You see, everyone in my family golfs except me, and this stems from a traumatic childhood memory. One day when I was about 7 or so, my grandpa took my brother and me to the golf course to teach us how to hit the ball. My brother, always much more athletically gifted than I, took to the game right away and in no time was hitting quite well. I on the other hand had much trouble and just could not get the hang of it. My grandfather was a wonderful man in just about all aspects, and I always loved him dearly--but he sometimes lacked patience. Well, he started getting mad at me because I was not getting golf right away, and eventually was yelling at me. (At least in my memory it happened this way.) So I threw own my club and declared that I was never going to play again.

And I didn't, except for the forced golf unit in high school P.E. So now I'm about to swing a golf club (not counting a putter) for the first time in 20 years, and it is going to be a sight to see. Fortunately the whole golf deal tomorrow is a best-ball, team sort of thing, so it should be fun. And apparently the outing is really just an excuse to have fun, wind down, and drink a lot of beer. Now that I can do.

4 Comments:

At 10:09 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

From long experience participating and working while others play, these things are almost exclusively a chance to have fun and run up a nice tab.

If it's a best ball event, you'll have to hit all your own shots and the best score of the group will be taken. If it's a scramble, everyone hits a shot, the group picks the best one, then everyone hits from there and so on.

Either way, one good/lucky shot or made putt can cancel out 18 holes worth of struggle in these things. Golfers remember the good ones and forget the crap, because otherwise we'd go insane.

Have fun!!!

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Your Mom posited...

I had the same problem when he tried to teach me to play bridge. Never played again!

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Milton Bradley = my hero for a day.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Tom posited...

haha, milton bradley.

I think he was too busy devising schemes to get the Parker brothers to remember how many outs there were....


ok that was a terrible joke. oh well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home