Wednesday, February 09, 2011

So Caught Up in You -- My Birthday Post

Well here we go -- entering my Strontium year. Unfortunately, strontium is a pretty boring element. But I guess that makes sense--38 is a boring age.

Strontium

The only really interesting thing about strontium is that one of its radioactive isotopes, 90SR, is used in cancer therapy. But other than that, strontium is pretty unremarkable.


According to Wikipedia, "the number 38 was especially prominent in Norse mythology. The number was said to represent unnatural bravery, characteristic of the legendary heroes of Norse sagas. Most legendary sagas were divided into 38 chapters, and the number often recurred throughout stories, with the heroes combating giants or other beasts in groups of 38." So I can always hope for a year full of bravery.

In addition, "the number was also significant in Egyptian mythology, as it was the characteristic number of Anubis, the jackal-headed god of death and mummification. Egyptian pharaohs were often buried with 38 statues of cat guardians, and their sarcophagi were adorned with 38 ankhs." Let's just say that this is not my first connection with a jackal-headed god of death and mummification.


In Taiwan, "38" is slang for stupid/idiot. So, yeah.


But all of this means nothing. The reason I don't like this new number is that I don't feel like I can pretend any longer that I am in my "mid-30s." I'm not ready to go "late-30s" yet, but I know the mid days are gone. I don't really know why this bothers me, and I know that I don't really live my life like most 38 year old people, but nevertheless . . .

But with the number 38 on my brain, I knew I had to post a video from 80s hillbilly rockers .38 Special, which is not only a terrible band but also a fine caliber for handguns.

They just don't make videos like this anymore. Nor should they. But I am thinking of growing my hair out like the lead singer.



Illinois highway 38, also known as Lincoln Highway, is the main road through DeKalb,
where I lived for two years during my first grad school years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home