Tuesday, May 12, 2009

'Tis mad idolatry

I guess it is about time that I said a little something about American Idol, one of my guilty pleasures, especially this year. I have really enjoyed watching the show for the last few weeks, and I think the finale next week will be exciting. This year I like the fact that the contestants (at least now in the final 3) are not just cookie-cutter performers.

So here's what I think about the final 3:
  • Kris Allen is not bad. He's a cheesy guy and will make some light bro-rock, but he's pretty good at it, and I think he should be in the Top Two.
  • Danny Gokey is overrated, and he has gotten by on sympathy. He does have a good voice, in a "if Seal were from Milwaukee" kind of way, but on the other hand, if he had sung "Dream On" in tryouts, he would have been one of the joke contestants they show at the beginning of the season. That was one of the worst things I've ever seen on Idol.
  • Adam Lambert is a superstar, and even if I have not always liked his performances (like "Born to be Wild"), he really has a star quality that makes him a standout. Some of his performances have absolutely blown me away, and he should definitely win. But even if he doesn't, he will still be the biggest star. But I wish he had not sung Aerosmith tonight.
This is all silly of course. But I like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home